Thursday, November 28, 2002

Rapid Reviews - 27 Nov 2002 - Part II


After reading the super-hero books first, and being remarkably disappointed in them, I read the rest of the stack. Much better.

Ruse #14: Let's see, last issue's cliff-hanger had Emma being buried alive, and the person Simon was impersonating on the way. I expected something a little different, but the whole thing worked out nicely. All-in-all, an impressive ending. 3 1/2 starfish.

Thieves & Kings #40: Yah! It Came! Everything falls apart in this issue, as the status quo is demolished most impressively. I gotta wonder how Heath will get out of this one. I was considering going to trades only on this book, but I was reminded once I read it of why I like getting this one as it comes out, despite the erratic schedule. 3 1/2 starfish.

Age of Bronze #15: First they attack the wrong people, then they have trouble re-gathering for the next attempt... When this is finished, Eric Shanower will have written the definitive story of the Trojan War. As it is, any person interested in the legend really needs to pick this book up. 4 starfish.

Girl Genius #8: Man, this book is so much fun! Special gift tags on the covers, non-stop action in the book itself. I love Agatha's little clank army, and I suspect it's them that will save the day... or the lightning generator... or something else entirely. I wonder if Mimmoths ever get attacked by slaver wasps? Yum, Mimmoth pie... 4 1/2 starfish (it would have been only 4 starfish, but the secret message in the back made my day).

I'm just going to stop here a moment and say that the last three books all coming out in the same week is really cool. While I wouldn't have minded if they'd been spread out a bit more, they are all top of the stack books, and all VERY good. As is the next one on the list.

Usagi Yojimbo #62: In this book, the bad guys generally get what they deserve when Usagi wanders in. I expected him to be more careful in this tale, especially since Jotaro was being put in danger, but even Usagi makes mistakes. The ending was appropriate, though I kind of wish we'd seen exactly how it happened. 3 1/2 starfish.

Long Wolf and Cub Vol 27: Next volume is the last, and we're back to fighting action. It seems to me that Retsudo is saying that Ogami has already won by forcing the return of the grass. Now all that remains is to finish the thing. And it's going to be messy. 3 1/2 starfish.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow Vol 2: It's very hard to get used to reading right to left, and backwards through the book. Some of the scenes in this story were familiar from the American adaptation in cartoon, but most of this was new to me. I'm still not sure why we started getting this, but it's been a very interesting book so far. 3 1/2 starfish.

0 comments: