Friday, March 28, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 26 Mar 2003 - Part III


Zatanna Everyday Magic: A fun book, but not for the kiddies. I found it fairly amusing as well as slightly gross. The artwork fit the tone of the book, mostly. 3 1/2 starfish

Amazing Spider-Man #51: I can't say it's a completely original idea for a villain, but it's more interesting than quite a few we've seen lately. And it's nice to see that Peter's relationship isn't suddenly all roses, there's a build-up, and they are both working to solve their problems. 3 1/2 starfish

Ruse #18: While this is good, everything happens pretty fast, and my initial reaction is that it just goes by too quick after the glacial pace of the last few issues. While I bet my opinion will change on a re-read, my initial reaction is that it's just too much. 3 starfish

Usagi Yojimbo #65: I love young Usagi tales. He really got around as a child. And this particular story is both fun and leads to another mystery about Usagi's past. I'm looking forward to the second part of this tale, which we may see next week, or maybe in another ten years... 4 starfish

Next week: Thieves & Kings #41, Batman: Nevermore #1, and Justice League Adventures #18. What a small week!

On a completely different note, I found a note allegedly from Erik Larsen on this thread at Comicon.com, and couldn't help but laugh at it. Larsen complaining about someone's artwork being distorted???? Larsen, Mr I-won't-draw-it-unless-it's-distorted??? Larsen, who drew a cover to a Spider-Man book in which Spider-Man was so incredibly, and badly, distorted that it looked simply gross??? With his track record at drawing badly proportioned, bizarre looking, deformed characters both inside and outside books, he shouldn't be criticizing someone else. The cover he's complaining about looks a heckuva lot better than any cover I've ever seen drawn by him. I've had a hard time sitting on my opinion, but instead of responding in the thread and possibly causing a pointless flame war in an inappropriate place, I'll just spit out my disbelief at his utter gall here in my blog. Feel free to disagree.

0 comments: