Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 28 April 2004 - Part IV

Abadazad #3: I read this book from two angles. On the one side is the view of a person angry at CrossGen's lies to their freelancers, who doesn't expect this series to reach the sixth issue... maybe not even the next issue. The other side is a person who loves the concept and the artwork, and wants to see this as a long-running series going on for years and years. This is another strong issue, building on what came before. And if I take the "interview" at the end and replace a few words, I feel like it's one very familiar tale. Hubby-Eric would know what I'm talking about. 4 starfish

Way of the Rat #23: Wrapping up? Or at least trying to... And the action is building. I wonder how this book is going to end. 4 starfish

Noble Causes Vol II: I liked the first volume, and I liked this one, too. There isn't really a lot to say. This is a like a soap opera, only good. Unfortunately, it seems to end on a bit of a cliff-hanger... which makes me all the more desperate to read the next trade. There will be another trade, right? 4 starfish

Classics Illustrated Junior: The Salt Mountain: I bought this for a birthday present for a four-year-old. The other choices were pretty much all Hans Christian Andersen tales, and I like this child too much to give her one of those depressing stories. So I flipped through this one enough to make sure that the protagonists don't end up in a fire, as sea foam, or dead. Once I got home I read the story completely and it wasn't bad. I'd never heard or read this one before, but it had elements of other stories I've read in the past. And as a bonus there are a couple of extra bits in the back. I think my niece will enjoy it. 3 1/2 starfish

Books coming tomorrow: Birthright, DC 100-page Super Spectacular, Justice League Adventures, Plastic Man, Swamp Thing, and Thor.