Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Rapid Reviews - Angel Season One DVDs - Part V

Angel [1-11]: Somnambulist: I figured that Angel's nightmares had little or nothing to do with the current Angel's actions. In fact, within moments of seeing the first nightmare I figured that he must be seeing through the eyes of another vampire. The link to Angelus made perfect sense, and the taunting "worst you can imagine" things was effective. I particularly like the bit where Cordelia figures out that she's facing a vampire. For a self-absorbed looney she sure is able to think on her feet. I'm not sure I get how Angel survives being staked. I don't think I know all the rules of the Buffy-verse vampires. Wesley is still an idiot, but he shows signs of native intelligence. And of course, any episode in which Angel is chained to a bed is a good episode. 3 1/2 starfish

Angel [1-12]: Expecting: I was thinking "instant karma". I suppose that Cordelia didn't really deserve it, but then, for a person in her line of work she tends to be quite naive. Wesley was better in this one, still fumbling around, but he figured out the details about the demon while Angel was off finding out where it lived. And Wesley's little "I've come to fight you one on one" bit was hilarious. I liked the reappearance of Cordelia's ghost, and how he cared for her. It was a touching. In a sense. Nothing super spectacular about this, but it was a good little episode. Interesting to see Cordelia sum up what she learned at the end, too. 3 1/2 starfish

More on the way. I've been on an Angel-watching marathon.