Saturday, May 15, 2004

A Three Subject Post - Sort Of

Today the Oogaboos invaded the pugless house of not-so-many horrors.

Oogaboos are people who live in the Northwestern part of Oz, and are ruled by the gracious Queen Ann. Well, the bored Queen Ann, at least. Anyway, in the corresponding area of the United States are a group of Oz fans who call themselves Oogaboos and meet three or four times a year to celebrate with each other. And today was one of those times... and I got to be the hostess.

As parties go, this was a good one. There was plenty of food (so much so that I had to stop myself repeatedly from eating), and lots to drink. The group toasted L. Frank Baum, who was born May 15th 1856. There was an Oz quiz, and the winner got a free T-shirt from my shop at Zazzle.

I wore my "I'm blogging this." T-shirt and explained what a blog is to several of our guests. Eric wore his very, very cool Winged Monkey Airlines T-shirt, which I'm just more impressed with every time I see it. We also did a group order on T-shirts to get a good discount.

There were a couple of "field trips" during the party. Since the pugless house is across the street from both a bookshop and a collectibles store, everyone had to go check them out.

One of the folks brought a cake from Borracchini's bakery (which is the classic Seattle place to get good cakes). I had to force myself to not eat more than one piece. In fact, a recurring theme with this party was me preventing myself from eating.

Moving on to another subject entirely...

This article in the Seattle Times is of great interest to me. Why, you ask? Well, because the church mentioned in the article, St. Brendan Catholic Church, is literally within spitting distance of my home. My home, not the place I'm house-sitting at.

I went down there today to pick up some stuff for a party I'm hosting at the pugless house of not-so-many horrors. There were newsvans all over, and they were clearly trying to make the issue out to be something big. I guess tents really do indicate circuses.

As for my opinion on the tent city... well, I don't know. I don't know if the tent city is simply a political statement, or if it's actually doing any good at all. I don't know if the people in the tent city are good neighbors, or if they stay up all hours partying. Without that knowledge, I don't really have much of an opinion.

As hubby-Eric put it, the church itself has generally been a good neighbor... so if they want to host the tent city, I won't complain unless there's actually a problem.

First we have a Methodist church trial (and get mentioned on The Daily Show, even if they did pronounce the town's name wrong), and now the tent city. Bothell is becoming a happening place to live if you like controversy.

And finally, some links for you to have fun investigating...

When TV Shows Collide. Another photoshop contest. Via Boing Boing

Neat potted history of Pitcairn Island. Via MetaFilter.

When did Doctor Doom get his Doctorate? Polite Dissent asks the hard questions.