Monday, June 28, 2004

Rapid Reviews - Free Comic Book Day - Part IV

PLEASE NOTE: Copies of these comic books will be available in participating comic shops on Saturday July 3rd 2004.

Duel Masters #1: This one, based on a CCG I presume, has a young man attempting to master the game. He's being taught by someone who is already a master. The art is a strange mix of cartoony sometimes on top of amazing paintings. The story itself is mildly compelling, but not so much that I'd be inclined to seek it out. Gamers might enjoy it. 3 1/2 starfish Gold Sponsor Book/This book is All-Ages.

The Adhouse Books Free Comic Book Day Comic: Hmmm. It was a nice idea, using 24-hour comics as their offering for FCBD. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it works. I don't know for sure if this actually represents the normal book from this company, or... what. Add in the fact that there are only two real stories, and I've got to wonder what this company is trying to say to me. I'm neutral on this one. 3 starfish Silver Sponsor Book/This book is for Older Readers (13+).

Astonish Comics #1: Oh wow! I knew Astonish put out some good books, but I'd never had a chance to try any of them before. Now... now I want to get the lot of them! In particular, Herobear and the Kid looks good, but I'm also very intrigued by The Dreamland Chronicles. This is another sampler, and has good descriptions of each story/character on the pages before. If you can lay your hands on this one, do so. 4 1/2 starfish Silver Sponsor Book/This book is All-Ages.

A note on my ratings: these may not match up to what the publishers put on their covers. I'm basing my ratings entirely on how comfortable I would be handing each comic to someone of each age. I confess I'm a bit of a prude, but better to be prudish and safe than to hand an inappropriate comic book to a kid who has an ultra-prude parent itching for a lawsuit.

Still to review: Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse, Wild About Comics, Arcana Studio Presents, Del Rey Manga Sampler, Best of Dork Storm Press, Johnny Raygun Classics, Keenspot Spotlight 2004, Sore Thumbs Election Special, From Pixels to Paper 2004, NBM Sampler, Adventures of Barry Ween, Love Fights/Everest, Amelia Rules!, and Top Shelf Tales.

Already reviewed: Alternative Comics, The Ballad of Sleeping Beauty, Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Archie, IDW Sampler, Dr Chaos' Comic Cornucopia, Teen Titans Go, Marvel Age Spider-Man, and Image Comics Summer Special.

Not available to me for review (yet): Back in Black: Brian Pulido Unleashed at Avatar, A Bunch of Baboons, Reggie-12, and Slave Labor Stories #2. Apparently Cancelled: Delicious Seasons (which is the one book I was actually looking forward to reading out of all the free comics... grrr).