Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 21 July 2004 - Part II

Been writing these... posting them has been a problem. Here's some more:

Outsiders #14: It started out fairly confusing, as a book that has to pick up from a cliffhanger often does, but it worked itself into an ok little story after all. Jade and Dick's conversation at the end was a good start towards addressing the major flaw in the book, so overall I'm hoping for the best. 3 1/2 starfish

DC Presents: Green Lantern #1: Oh boy. How do I write a criticism of the first story without coming off as sour grapes? It just seemed overly... stupid... like it was trying too hard to be funny. It was cute, but none of the jokes seemed to work. Anyway, the second story was decent, if overly melodramatic. I'm not really enjoying these "tributes" overall. They're ok, but I've seen more losers than winners out of the first few. 3 starfish

Smallville #9: Fun split story for the comic section, and the guides are very nice. I like seeing a guide to the novels, as I'm pretty sure I will never read them. A nice package, but it felt a bit skimpy this time, perhaps because of the extra "guide" pages. 3 1/2 starfish

Birds of Prey #70: Nasty cult... yeah, yeah... based in Oregon... yeah, yeah... good guys have to stop it... whatever. Except for the first few pages, which featured an entirely different plot, this book did nothing for me. I would have happily read an entire book about the subject of the first few pages... but the main plot is boring. 3 starfish

Still to review: Seaguy, Demo, and Ursula.