Friday, July 30, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 28 July 2004 - Part II

Classic Illustrated Jr #535: The Wizard of Oz: There are some significant changes to the story from both the movie and (I think) the book. That's all to the good, though, as a child reading this may well want to get the book to see what the real story is all about. It's a fun little version, not the best I've ever seen, but fun. 3 1/2 starfish

JLA #102: While it's a touching enough story, put in a series of stories about the Justice League failing it seems already too depressing. I don't want to read a bunch of tales of how members of the League screw up. That's not why I read comic books. Taken on its own merits, there are some nice bits in here, including the reaction of Wally. Still, this story arc just makes me ask "why?" 3 1/2 starfish

Green Lantern #179: Um. It was ok, I guess. I'm not sure I'm impressed. John Stewart looks completely wrong to me, maybe I've been watching Justice League too much. And Kyle's reactions are actions all seem off for his character. Overall... no, not impressed. 3 starfish

Still to review: Conan, Usagi Yojimbo, DC Presents Hawkman, The New Frontier, Another Nail, Amazing Spider-Man, Powers, and Samurai Executioner.