Thursday, August 19, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 18 August 2004 - Part I

Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix: Eric checked this out of the library because he heard about a controversy with this book and the new movie just out. I don't know how this concept could be used as an end of movie plot twist. In the book, you know what is going on right away, and it's needed to empathize with the main character. Anyway, taken on its own, the book is good. It's definitely aimed at a young audience, but it's a compelling read. Nothing too special, but not a bad read at all. 3 1/2 starfish

Justice League Unlimited: Kids' Stuff: How annoying. I was expecting to see Hawk and Dove, but instead I get that annoying Mordred brat and four long-time JLAers instead of new team members. Ok, it wasn't a bad story, it's just that this is supposed to be unlimited, but so far we've only had one episode that had any characters besides the original six, and even then we still haven't seen Flash or J'onn. I want more heroes, darn it! I don't know if starting out the new series with one teasing episode then going back to the old routine was a good idea for general audiences, but this audience is annoyed. Anyway, as I said, not a bad story, just bad timing. Mildly recommended. 3 1/2 starfish

Plastic Man #9: Well... I wasn't sure what to expect, but I think I was expecting a resolution to the plotline. I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get that... although I suppose it was possible to read your own resolution into it. My resolution was that this Plastic Man is clearly in a completely different universe than the regular DCU. And the cameo doesn't make me think that any less. Neutral, but at least Eric enjoys it. 3 starfish

Still to review: Supreme Power, Girl Genius, Batman Adventures, Birds of Prey, DC Presents Atom, Fallen Angel, H-E-R-O, JSA Strange Adventures, Astro City Special, and Demo.