Sunday, November 28, 2004

Mego-Mondo Random Thoughts

Worlds Withing Worlds has an interesting rumor report. Seems really unlikely to me, but very intriguing.

Bob Haney suffers a stroke. News here.

Fun old Anti-Commie Comic Book. I think I've seen it before, but it's a timely relink. I think the remixes are about right.

Postmodern Barney continues to amuse with a story about a gender-changing Krypto. Lovely, indeed.

Tom Spurgeon reports on sales of The Golden Plates. I'm still waiting for hubby-Eric to read it to do a more in-depth review of it (no pressure, dear).

I knew there was a movie being made of Dianna Wynne Jones's Howl's Moving Castle, which I have not read but heard good things about. I knew that there was a new Hayao Miyazaki movie coming out. But for some odd reason, I never connected the two. WOW. I wanna see this one, the only question is... do I go read the book now or wait until the movie makes it over the Pacific and I can see it first?

Dialect Survey Maps, fun for anyone who talks. And here's another map, of world sunlight.

$100 Linux-run gateway-to-the-internet computers. For areas where people can't afford the expensive stuff, and it's recyclable and runs on solar power. Sounds cool.

Boing Boing points us to Ramayana, an on-line graphic novel of an extraordinary Indian epic. Well worth browsing over to.

I've had to add Filker Tom Smith to my RSS blogroll, as he's just too good to stop reading. This is the same guy responsible for one of my favorite Lord of the Rings filks, The Return of the King, Uh-Huh as well as The Trans Poly U Fight Song

MetaFilter discusses Sleep Paralysis. I used to have this quite a lot, but I had a doctor very early on who described it to me when I mentioned nightmares, so I knew it was common. I haven't had it for some time, though there have been scattered incidents more recently. It's just not common anymore, for me.

I like Mike Sterling's List of Christmas Songs. I keep thinking I ought to hunt some of them up for myself. But then, my list has "What Do You Get A Wookie For Christmas (When He Already Has A Comb)?" so I'm not sure I need anything else.

Neat link to cool automatons, including videos of the little guys in action.

The CIA is watching IRC for illegal activities. OOOh. Big Brother is getting closer and closer.

Holy Flaming Cows. I agree with just about every word in this column about abortion. My only suggestion on how to address the issues Dave covers is what I've been saying for many, many years. I have always been anti-abortion, but considered "pro-choice", because attempting to stop abortion through legislation was tried AND IT FAILED. I firmly believe that if the money that was poured into the pro-life movement was instead poured into education and help for young mothers, it would be possible to make abortion a socially offensive last-resort instead of a common method of birth control. And never underestimate the power of peer pressure as a force for good. If abortion no longer seems like a good choice, people won't choose it. Excellent article, Dave. If you've ever considered submitting something to one of those "best blogs" collections, submit this one.

And lastly, could everyone who has read this far click on this link, which goes to my Aquaman page, and tell me if it a) loads, and b) loads really slow. I've had a couple of complaints, but trying all my browsers, I can't find anything wrong with it. It loads fine and it loads pretty fast, for me. Anyway, if you choose to help me out here, please leave a comment. Thanks.

0 comments: