Friday, December 10, 2004

Flipping Through Previews...

Yes, it's that time again... time for "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". I'm going to start with the bulk of the book, and then come back and cover the "big four" at the end. Please remember, I'm listing what looks interesting. My actual purchase list is going to be much smaller. The numbers after each title are usually the page number in Previews Magazine, so you can follow along at home.

Let's start with the covers. The main cover is for Seven Soldiers of Victory, Grant Morrison's new "mega adventure". I admit I'm very interested in the books and the concept, but I'm not overly keen on the cover itself. It doesn't impress me much. The back cover is for G.I.Joe, and is far less exciting.

On page 3 are some very amusing MiniMates, featuring Witchblade, Kabuki, Magdalena, and Dawn. I don't know which one I find the funniest, but they are terribly cute. And no, I don't intend to get them.

Moving on, let's hit the Splash Page (8-9). A bit about Black Panther, and more on the WizKids game that I didn't get (the pirate one). New Overstreet Price Guide will be coming out in a few months. I've found that I'm not nearly so interested in the price of comics anymore, now that I've got most of the Silver Age stuff I was hunting for. None of the other articles do anything for me.

This month's checklist is "Valentine's Day/Girl Friendly Merchandise". Guys, I absolutely guarantee that, while some women will appreciate a comic book, it had better be along with chocolate and not in place of chocolate. I notice that no DC books made their list. Going through the list, the books I'm familiar with look like decent choices.

Skipping over the big four, I land in the middle of Wizard (186-192) (euwwww!). Something about an Identity Crisis Directors Cut... but that's about all the jumps out at me.

So let's flip to the Featured Items pages for the main comic book section (194-197). The Steve Niles, Rob Zombie, & Richard Corben Bigfoot comic looks like something I might possibly be intrigued by, but I doubt we'll have enough extra this month to add it. I'd also love to get the first Scholastic reprint of Bone, in full color, but that too looks like it will be out of reach. Luckily, some of the money from hubby-Eric's Oz bookshop went to getting me the one volume edition of Bone, so at least I can enjoy the story.

About Comics (198) has a book called Comics Prose Volume 1 that I would love to get. It includes a number of writers whose work I enjoy. It's on the short list, but again, money is really tight this month so I don't think it will happen.

Adhouse Books (200) has something called Project: Superior which includes a number of reinterpretations of superheroes by "Indy" artists. The ad on page 200 lists the contributors. Although the cover doesn't do much for me, I would love to read this one. Again... money is tight, probably won't make the list.

Adv Films (201-212) continues to annoy me with their solicit layout, and despite attempting to read closely, I found nothing that I would consider buying.

Next up is AIT/Planet Lar (213) who are putting out a collection of Scurvy Dogs. As you may remember, I wasn't too impressed with it, but other folks loved it.

Alternative Comics presents Strange Day, which looks more to my taste. (Sorry about the mistake, Larry).

I'm not sure what to think of Amaze Ink/Slave Labor's book Bag of Anteaters #1 (216). Won't make the list, but it does intrigue me.

Antarctic Press (220-221) is collecting Heaven Sent, and I'm curious... has anyone in the blogosphere tried this book? Is it any good? I was sort of tempted by the first issue.

A Different Pace (222) by Ape Entertainment looks like it could be a good book. I'd have to see some samples before I'd jump after it... and nothing extra is getting bought this month anyway. *sigh*

I just want to point out that Stargate SG-1: Daniel's Song #1 (299) by Avatar Press has four different covers, including a glow in the dark cover. It's also only 16 pages long. Um. Ok.

The Ballad of Sleeping Beauty #7 (236) from Beckett Comics will make the list again. It helps that it's full color and only $2. How is Beckett managing to keep the prices low?

We are absolutely getting True Story Swear To God #13 (240) by Tom Beland and both Eric and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone else. Guys, you want a valentine gift? Get Chances Are... for your gal. Just don't forget to add some chocolate. If that doesn't set the mood, nothing will.

(It's true, I highly recommend it. -- Hubby-Eric)

Hey, get off my keyboard! Moving on...

??!!?? I just found ANOTHER cover to Stargate SG-1: Daniel's Song #1 on page 242, from Comic Cavalcade. That makes five.

Committed Comics (244) has Platypus Rex #2. I'll buy it. I want to support the company (which is local), and the writer and artist both know my name thanks to all the local cons I've gone to and seen them at. Hey, I can bring both issues to get autographed the next time I go to the con...

Dementian Comics (246) is offering Stylish Vittles: I Met A Girl and it's sequel. There are art and story samples available at the website, so check it out. Another book I wouldn't mind getting if only, if only.

Penguin Bros (251). It just had to be penguins. I like penguins, you see. I sort of collect them (they congregate on top of the TV). I'd love to get this book, just to see what it's about. From Devil's Due Publishing, and no, it probably won't make the list.

Dork Storm Press is soliciting Nodwick #27 (260). Considering how much I love PS238, I really should just add this book to my pull list today. I mean, it's Aaron Williams, it must be excellent.

Graphix (287), an imprint of Scholastic, is reprinting Bone in color, starting with Volume 1: Out of Boneville. As I think I mentioned before, I'd love to get these. Maybe I'll save up and buy the hardcovers someday.

Heroic Publishing (288) is offering a collection of the classic Alter Ego (the comic) by Roy Thomas and Ron Harris. These would certainly be fun to own.

More penguins?!?? Penguins On Ice is being offered from ibooks (290). This one looks even more true to penguin-kind, as not one of the penguins on the cover is carrying a gun.

IDW Publishing presents Bigfoot #1 (291) by the frightening team of Rob Zombie, Steve Niles, and Richard Corben. Looking at the solicit, it seems less likely that I'll get it. I'm not really into horror comics, and that seems to be the angle they are taking with it. Still, what should I expect from that team?

Chickasaw Adventures #1 from Layne Morgan Media (300) appears to be just the kind of book I really like. Educational and yet fun. Can I resist a time-travel book featuring the Chickasaw Nation? From the website: "The Chickasaws have chosen this exciting tool to educate both the Chickasaw youth and the greater American youth on its invaluable history, tradition, and culture." This'll make the list.

NBM Publishing (304) is offering both the Hardy Boys and the Nancy Drew trades this month. I can't decide if I really want them. Well, I know I want them, I just don't know for sure if they will make the list.

coverPanini is reoffering Doctor Who: Iron Legion (307). I'll be reviewing it soon. Let's just say, this is worth it. Dave Gibbons. Need I say more? Yes? Um... it's good. Fourth Doctor fun stuff. Worth a look.

Amelia Rules (308) returns to Previews with the fifth issue in the Superheroes arc. Yes, we'll be getting this one, too.

Rosen Publishing Group (310) is breaking my heart with some great-looking bios of a whole bunch of really cool comics creators, including Neil Gaiman, Art Spiegelman, Colleen Doran, Bryan Talbot, Joe Sacco, and Will Eisner. If I could afford them, I'd get them all.

SAF Comics (312) is showing off their Western with art from Joe Kubert called Tex: The Lonesome Rider.

Here's another series of books I'd get if I could afford them, the Modesty Blaise tales from Titan Publishing (317). I've read bits and pieces, and would love to read the whole lot.

Top Shelf (340) has the second volume of Owly which looks cute, but I haven't seen close-up yet. Maybe someday.

TwoMorrows Publishing has art books on George Tuska and Dick Giordano. Both would be good reads.

Viz Comics is up to Vagabond Vol 20 (346). I may never catch up. But I liked the ones I got from the library, and would love to get the entire series.

Yeeesss! I'm through the big comic book section. And I only found thirty-five more books that I want to buy. Ouch.

In the magazine section, I've dropped Comic Book Digest (355) because there just isn't enough in it for me. I do recommend that other readers give it a try, as it's a good effort. The cover of Comics Buyer's Guide (355) (and Scrye (359)) has a Mr Freeze HeroClix that makes me want to start playing the game again. I love HeroClix. Little statues. I wonder if this means there will be another DC set soon?

In books, the New Smithsonian Book of Comic Book Stories (369) looks like something I would like. I've enjoyed the Smithsonian books so far.

Graphitti Designs (396-399) has some cool stuff. I'm still thinking of making a "New Venice Diving Squad" T-shirt for my Aquaman fans. Part of me doesn't care that nobody would get it. I like the new Green Lantern shirts. And I would love to get the Scary Godmother tumbler set.

Aquaman is on page 420.

Pages 428 and 429 have plush Aliens and Predators. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

There is a "Revenge of the Jedi" movie poster on page 464... just look at the price. I mean LOOK at the price. Wow.

Do you want to play Star Wars Risk? If you do, you can order it (page 476) for only $40.

Nothing to comment on in the videos, so it's back to the big four. People who don't like mainstream books can stop reading now. The Gems of the Month aren't really that interesting to me, so let's move on to the first publisher.

This month, let's start with Dark Horse. I'm slightly interested in Dragon Prince #1 (20-21) by Ron Marz and Jeff Johnson. I like Johnson's artwork, and the story sounds intriguing enough. I'm definitely getting Conan #13 (22), and I'd like to get the trade collection of the first few issues, too. I will be getting Samurai: Heaven & Earth #3 (28) and Usagi Yojimbo #82 (29).

Next up is Image Comics. I'll be getting Battle Hymn #3 (133), Lions, Tigers and Bears (148), and Noble Causes #8, (151). I was stopped by Lullaby: Wisdom Seeker #1 (149), but I'm not sure it will make the list.

As usual, I didn't get Marvel Previews, but I'm still getting a handful of Marvel Comics (178). Young Avengers doesn't interest me at all. I will get Amazing Spider-Man #517 and Spider-Man: India #4. I'll note that Shanna, The She-Devil by Frank Cho is finally coming. I'm somewhat interested, but it doesn't look likely. Supreme Power #15 will also make the list. And, of course, Powers #9.

And finally, the last publisher on the list... DC Comics. As usual, section by section.

Batman (57-63): Just like last month, nothing. Not a book.

Superman (64-68): Nothing here, either.

DC Universe (69-82): Aquaman #27, I'm a little disappointed that we're getting Ocean Master... but then it's been a little while. Also on the list: Birds of Prey #79, Bloodhound #8, Green Arrow #47, Green Lantern: Rebirth #5, JLA #111, JLA Classified #4 (which is set prior to Identity Crisis), JSA #70, Outsiders #21, and Solo #3. I'll have to make some sort of decision on Seven Soldiers #0, but I'm leaning ever so slightly towards getting it despite the money problems.

Johnny DC (83-84): I have to get The Batman Strikes! #6 just because. And I'll get Justice League Unlimited #6 because of the possibility Aquaman will show up sometime.

Beyond the Universe (85-95): Still nothing.

Wildstorm (96-109): The Twilight Experiment #1 looks like I could enjoy it, but I'm not adding anything this month unless I'm pretty sure of it, so I probably won't get it.

Vertigo (110-121): I wanted to get It's A Bird..., but couldn't afford it. I'm still thinking about it as something to get later on, since I still can't afford it. Vimanarama #1 looks different. I'll have to skip it, but it certainly is odd-looking.

DC Direct (122-127): Neat Crisis on Infinite Earths figures. Don't want 'em, but they look cool.

Whew. So that's it for this month's "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". Comments? Questions? Did I miss any really cool books that you know about and would like to point out? Do you disagree with something I wrote, and want to correct me? There's the comments, right below. Post something. And, yes, I accept review copies. I'm willing to give almost anything a try.

0 comments: