Sunday, December 19, 2004

Rapid Reviews - TV and a Movie

Smallville [4-10]: Scare: I kept thinking that they were really going to do it, really introduce the Scarecrow into the Smallville universe. Well, they may not have introduced the villain himself, but there's his method of attack. Overall, not too bad. It's very good of Clark to offer himself up as the cure. 3 1/2 starfish

Justice League Unlimited [3-11]: Wake the Dead: Hmmm... if Aquaman was as nasty in front of Mera as he was to Hawkgirl, he'd need another hook for another missing body part. I'm relatively sure that it wasn't pure sexism, but rather an attempt to goad Hawkgirl out of her funk and into action. That's my reading, at least. Of course, this wasn't Aquaman's story. I hardly believe the end, either... no body, no death... but I suppose it was touching enough. Too many loose ends, though. I want to know what happened to the kids from the beginning of the story. 4 starfish

The Incredibles: I almost wish I could say I didn't like this movie, because then I could make jokes about a Fantastic Four ripoff fighting Heat Miser from "The Year Without A Santa Claus". Unhappily for bad jokes, this was a great movie, so I can't make any jokes about the FF adopting Impulse from the DCU. So I'll go with the normal route instead. This was a great movie, lots of fun. The elements of the movie were taken from all over, from the JSA refusing to remove their masks to the recent Powers issues in which superheroes are illegal. It was a really strong movie from a superhero fan's point of view. Especially chilling was the scene showing the heroes who had already fought against Syndrome's robots. This will be a great one to rewatch on DVD. 4 starfish

0 comments: