Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Rapid Reviews - 29 December 2004 - Part I

Samurai Executioner Vol 2: "Two Bodies, Two Minds": This issue came shrink-wrapped and with a warning label on the cover. I was surprised at first, as I couldn't really imagine that there would be anything in this book worse than in any of Lone Wolf and Cub or the first book, but after reading the first story I think I may understand, especially considering the current climate. I don't really object to warnings for explicit content, as it could save some retailers (who don't have time to read every single book, despite what some people will tell you) some grief if they run into some close-minded idiot who thinks comic books are only for children. Overall, I approve of the action Dark Horse took on this book, although I'm equally aware that if I had come up against a shrink-wrap and warning label when investigating Lone Wolf and Cub, I might have been put off buying it, if not completely at least for a long time. More the shrink-wrap than the warning label, admittedly. I like checking out artwork before making a purchase.

Anyway, this is brutal, as usual. The violence is plain and up front. No punches are pulled when it comes to gore and death. The first story involves a firebug who doesn't realize that she's starting fires. The second is about a man's efforts to save his worthless son from execution. The third is the most interesting. When Asaemon learns that he may have executed an innocent man, he takes action to try to prevent it from ever happening again. At one point, in a conversation between Asaemon and the commissioner of Edo, the purpose of law and punishment is discussed. It was a striking conversation which I wish I could quote in full here, but I'd rather you read it in context. In short, Asaemon believes the law should respect individuals, as they make up the masses... while the commissioner believes the law is above the people. When the conversation moves on to punishment, the commissioner thinks that punishment is meant as retribution and a precaution to other people to not commit crimes. Asaemon replies from a Buddhist perspective of hating the crime, and punishing the crime, but not the criminal. It's a strange sort of philosophical aside, which applies even now, that makes this book better than expected. Another amazing volume from Koike and Kojima. 4 starfish

Daisy Kutter #4: "The Last Train Chapter Four": After all is said and done, after the deal that smelled from the beginning went rotten in the last issue, this was a strong finale to this story. Daisy is one of those characters that you want to meet again, yet you'll be happy even if you never see another story about her. And while the ending isn't entirely happy, it's completely satisfying. This series was strong from start to finish. 4 starfish

Wildguard: Fire Power #1: This story starts with the new team together for the first time doing what they were hired to do, and we get to see the fear of Ignacia, having been picked despite powers that duplicate another member. It's a good angle for a story, and I like the characters picked, particularly Lily and Ignacia. A fun book, be sure to read the letter column. I'm not sure I like the art on the backup story, but that might just be because I'm so used to Todd's work. 4 starfish

Marvel Age Fantastic Four #10: "The Return of Doctor Doom": I knew this book had a lot of rehashing of old Fantastic Four stories, but I was still amused when shortly after reading this issue I read about the original tale somewhere else. It's a fun one about Reed and Doom switching brains. A bit simplistic, but I guess I'm expecting that from this book. 3 1/2 starfish

Strange #3: I'm not entirely sure what is happening here, except that Strange is being introduced to magic and isn't finding it something he can believe in. The cliffhanger is just odd. I'm curious to see what happens in the next issue, if the destruction he's seeing is real or something given to him with his "third eye". 3 1/2 starfish

Legion of Super-Heroes #1: "And We Are Legion": I have never understood the Legion. I know their origins, because Aquaman appears in the issue of Adventure Comics they first appear in. I knew they were somehow tied in with Superboy, although I wasn't sure how that was done after that first story. But the Science Police never made any sense to me, nor the structure of the Legion itself. For that matter, I never could figure out just what or who they represented. This issue works as a primer on all those questions I had. In short, it's a fine introduction to the Legion. How much of this is "canon" as far as the long-time Legion fans go is a mystery to me, but I'm satisfied with the explanations. And satisfied with the issue too. I didn't intend to get it... didn't, in fact. Hubby-Eric made a special trip to pick it up for himself. But I liked it. Not bad at all. 3 1/2 starfish

JSA: Strange Adventures #5: "Life of a Madman": I'm just not impressed with this story. Yeah, the story of Lord Dynamo is kind of interesting, but I just can't build up much enthusiasm for him. He doesn't seem like much of a threat. There is always the danger, with superhero books, of being certain that the heroes will win and thus not finding the villains to be threatening. This book seems to go over that edge for me. Cyborg Nazis just don't scare me, and Johnny Thunder has to be the least sympathetic character on the whole team. So ... I'm just not impressed. 3 starfish

Teen Titans #19: "Titans Tomorrow Part Three: East Meets West": I want to know what happened to Tempest! Ahem. Not much of Lorena in this one. I'm still not sure what to think of how the Titans got to this state, but from the final pages I'm thinking it's not quite over, is it? Not enough to get me to keep buying the book, but a fascinating little arc. 3 1/2 starfish

0 comments: