Thursday, February 17, 2005

Rapid Reviews - 9 February 2005 - Part II

Aquaman #27: "Retroverse Two": Heh. I'm getting quizzical e-mails wondering if I'm ever going to post a review of this issue. I think that means that people are intrigued by it and want to see my reaction. That's gotta be a good sign.

I liked it. A lot. After Arcudi's first issue, which was pretty bad, I was worried we'd get a whole lot of cliche stories with no new twists. I was pleasantly surprised last month, and even more impressed with this month's issue. In fact, this issue made me grab my older Peter David books to check something out, which doesn't happen unless I'm actively interested in something.

I was a solid issue, with a nice turn of events and a good use of continuity. There was even a recap of Aquaman's origin. The artwork was suberb. I wish DC still had page numbers, as I'd point out a few neat bits... instead I'll just urge you to take a look at the book for yourself.

Two very minor quibbles. One: Geist should NOT be on the surface, as the bad guys might spot him and then he's a dead man. He knows that, and Aquaman would have realized that shortly. Two: Orm needs to have contact with his staff or he's in great pain. That might have been the case here, but if it was it wasn't clear once the "staff" was removed from him.

Excellent issue. I'm actually looking forward to the next couple despite my vocal fears about them when I read Previews. 4 1/2 starfish

Green Arrow #47: "Southern Comfort": Must be origin month at DC as Green Arrow also gets a recap of his origin in this month's issue. This issue was strong, with a premise set up at the beginning which we later see put into action. The villians of the piece are sinister and fun (in that order) and the action moves along nicely. I'm a little disturbed by the art, as it seems to make some of the characters' faces more rubbery than needed. A good issue. 4 starfish

Bloodhound #8: "Slow Burn": I think I must like mysteries, as this issue really appealed to me, and it's mostly just setting up a good old-fashioned superhero mystery. I'm liking Clev a lot, and I kind of hope he gets cameos in other books in the future. 4 starfish

0 comments: