Saturday, June 25, 2005

Rapid Reviews - 22 June 2005 - Part II

Noble Causes #11: Well, hey, why not twist everything around. This issue is more like a roller coaster ride than anything else. While Frost chooses to help in his normal manner and gets misunderstood... as usual... the rest of the family goes on a mission, and the cliffhanger makes me want the next issue now. 3 1/2 starfish

Oddly Normal #3: This was delayed at my shop, unfortunately, but I've got it now. Oddly continues to deal with her situation by simply going forward, but she's learning more about her past as well. There are some neat secrets set up in this one, and I have my doubts that this can be concluded in one last issue... and even if it is concluded, I hope we get to see more of Oddly and her friends in the future. A great ride, check it out. 4 starfish

Legion of Super-Heroes #7: What's the worst possible fate for a native of Colu? Well, that's what happens. This is a Brainiac 5 story in all respects. He's the victim and the agressor. And his backstory is getting more interesting by the minute. Not an amazing cliffhanger, but certainly an intriguing one. 3 starfish

Astro City: The Dark Age #1: "Thicker Than Water": Two brothers... one a cop and one a criminal. The criminal tells his story of the city on the verge of a massive change in attitudes. This is pretty standard Astro City, so if you've read and enjoyed previous issues, this one is worth looking into as well. If not... well, then, not. 3 1/2 starfish

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere #1: "Chapter One": This is my first exposure to Neverwhere, as I haven't read the book or seen the video, and I only have the vaguest idea of what it's about. I love the cover... with the blur and the focus on what seems to be the most important aspect of the tale. I thought the set-up was very good, and I think I'm going to enjoy this book. It's almost enough to make me go out and grab the novel, but I don't want to spoil the comic. 3 starfish

Supreme Power #17: "True Faces": While Mark learns a lesson about pain, The Aquarian and ol' what's-his-name meet "Wonder Woman" and have a little altercation. I like that this book has deviated a lot from the script, but I really wish it would head toward some recognizable destination a little faster. Yeah, yeah... I'm just being impatient, but we've had an awful lot of character development so far without a lot of real interaction. And now I have to decide if I'm going to pick up the minis being solicited... I'm not sure I want to, but at least one of them is being written by JMS, so it's possible. But then, do I really want more of this? 2 1/2 starfish

0 comments: