Monday, August 08, 2005

Rapid Review - Shojo Beat

After trying out Shonen Jump, I found myself inclined to subscribe so I could get more of Hikaru No Go. I did so, and also took advantage of a neat offer to get Shojo Beat as well.

I've now gotten the first two issues of Shojo Beat, and I have to admit that I'm... well, less than impressed.

The first issue had a massive focus on a story Nana which had a main character that I REALLY didn't like. She's a teenager busy having an affair with a married man, and I'm supposed to feel sympathy for her? I don't think so. I just got the impression that she was a complete idiot and wished the story would end. I kept reading in the hopes that she would get what was coming to her, but it just dragged on and on. To my surprise, the second issue had a completely different Nana, I think. This one wasn't fantasic, but at least it was better than the first issue. Apparently the two will meet up, and I hope the second one kicks the first one's butt.

Absolute Boyfriend was the second story in the first issue, and I liked it mostly. What girl wouldn't want their own personal boyfriend, responsive to their every need? Ok, I suppose I have a few issues with how it's presented, but it isn't too bad.

The third story is Godchild, and has some potential. It feels like this is strangely off, though. Like the story is trying too hard to be a period piece at times. I can't put my finger on what's bothering me about it, so maybe it's just me.

The fourth story is Kaze Hikaru, and I was thinking this would be the one I'm most likely to enjoy, as it's a samurai era piece. But it didn't excite me at all. The second issue had a slightly more interesting story, but if it were a book, I wouldn't be inclined to buy it.

The fifth story is terribly cute and was an immediate turn-off because of it. Baby & Me tells of a young boy whose mother dies, and he gets put in charge of the baby. The first issue is so sweet and cute that the contrast between it and the previous story made it nearly impossible to read. Coming back to it later, it read better, but it's still not my kind of tale.

The last story, Crimson Hero, is another one that I felt like I should be interested in but found hard to enjoy. The set-up is so unfair I wanted to smack someone. The second issue made for some promising future adventure, but I still didn't find it fantastic.

Included in the first issue was a mini-comic sneak peak of Ultra Maniac, including a CD with the first episode of the Anime based on it. It was, by a decent margin, the best thing in the book. I was a little depressed it wasn't also in the second issue.

So, overall I'm luke warm about the whole thing. Stories are ok. Advertising is awful, worse than Shonen Jump by a bit. Articles aren't too bad, but there's a focus on fashion, which just doesn't appeal to me. I've got a subscription, so I'll continue to read it until it runs out, but it needs to improve a bit or I won't re-up once it comes due. 2 starfish

0 comments: