Monday, August 01, 2005

Rapid Reviews - 29 June 2005 - Part II

JLA Classified #9: "Lo! There Shall Come An Ending": The Giffen fun-league finally finishes up with some touching moments and some absolutely freaky moments, especially when you take into account what's going to happen to Sue in the future. Again, if you liked the Giffen era Justice League, get this. If you didn't, avoid this. 2 1/2 starfish

Seven Soldiers: Shining Knight #3: "The Perfect Knight Returns": Yay! I can tell that Sir Justin is a guy in this issue! But that's one of the few good things, as much of this issue is a big infodump during a police interview. The artwork is intriguing, but it doesn't always show enough detail to figure out what is happening in the non-interview bits. Either my eyes are going out, or we have another case of weak storytelling in the art. Maybe if I was willing to re-read it a few times I would figure it out. Not horrible, but not great. 2 1/2 starfish

Outsiders #25: "The Insiders Part Four": The Indigo/Shift thing isn't too bad, but the rest of it leaves me cold. Superboy's sudden change doesn't strike me as realistic even for a comic book, and this whole Donna Troy thing is just annoying. 2 starfish

Green Lantern #2: "No Fear": I wish I could connect with this book. The art is ok, I'm interested in the main character... but I just can't seem to really enjoy it. It's like I'm reading it because I have to, not because I want to. And yet I'm getting it because I like the characters. It's just not grabbing me. 2 starfish

Licensable Bear #2: I really didn't intend to get the second issue of this, but hubby-Eric was interested, and I found myself intrigued enough. It's funny. Licensable Bear goes to a trade show and finds lots of tales to tell... not to mention some unexpected help. 3 starfish

Solo #5: Darwyn Cooke: "You seem able-bodied -- Get your butt on a transport, pick up a gun, and do your part if you think it's worth dying over. If -- if you survive your tour -- Well, then you'll have the right to discuss which casualties are acceptable. 'Til then, shut your nasty trap." These volumes just get better and better. This one had some amusing Aquaman bits (and I like the way Cooke draws Aquaman), and lots and lots and lots of Slam Bradley. Recommended. Highly recommended. 4 1/2 starfish

Wonder Woman #217: "The Bronze Doors: Conclusion": So... I can't say I really understand what just happened, but it looked pretty good. Diana finishes her quest, but it's the rewards I don't get. I suppose if I'd been reading this for a year I might understand. Oh well. It's not bad. Just too wrapped in continuity. 2 1/2 starfish

The Flash #223: "Rogue War Chapter 4": Is this story actually moving forward at all? I mean, at the end of last issue the Rogue's were at war. At the end of this issue? Same. There are good bits and scenes, but the whole seems to be mostly unnecessary filler. I just want to know what happens next, but nothing seems to be really happening. It's like a big involved D&D campaign in which you are so busy placing your characters that you never have time for the story. 2 1/2 starfish

0 comments: