Thursday, April 06, 2006

Random Thoughts

Time to clean out some links I've been saving for no apparent reason...

Dave has a math puzzle that I find much more interesting than Sudoku. And it involves actual math. It's much harder to master, too.

The jokes just write themselves sometimes: Uranus has a blue ring.

Silver Age comics looks at a classic run of Spider-Man.

A template for mainstream journalists to follow when they want to report about comics. Yup, we've all seen this exact article about a hundred times.

2006 Eisner Award Nominations. I've read so few... I think Solo #5 (Darwyn Cooke) definitely deserves an Eisner... Age of Bronze and True Story, Swear to God both deserve awards... and Ramona Fradon and Marty Nodell both deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. I've read more than that, but that's all I want to comment on.

Aaron Williams has some great links, and if you went to the Emerald City Comicon, don't forget to fill out the survey and request him as a guest.

Colleen Doran has a story about the Palace of Ajax being found by archaeologists, along with a suggestion to buy Age of Bronze.

Darth Vader in Japan. Just watch it. Via Boom! Studios.

Taking pictures of a courthouse can get you hassled in today's America. Remember to print out the photographer's rights and have them with you when you take pictures.

Boing Boing reports on Larry Young! Well, sort of.

The bird flu may hit the US West Coast by the end of this summer. Remember to wash your hands and don't touch your face.

There's a great article on Wikipedia about leetspeak, and its origins and developments.

The English Language is absurd, and these poems prove it. Just read them aloud.

A big leap.

Robert Jordan is fighting for his life, and fully intends to win.

Libel award given to a man called a "Nazi" on a chatroom.

MIT and Caltech are at it again.

I don't care about the criticism. I still want one. I'd put the $100 laptop through its paces in a test run. And I still think it's a great idea. Increasing access to the internet and educational opportunties can only make the world a better place.

Dark, But Shining has moved. I bet everyone already knew that. I've turned down a couple of offers to join these great group blogs... I have four blogs of my own, so my hands are full.

For a long time I've wondered if the electrical "noise" from various appliances that we keep on all the time in our house might be part of my health problems. I can hear the VCR even when it's "turned off". So when I read this article (also linked here) I felt a little sense of relief. Maybe I'm not completely nutso after all.

I'm only linking to this item because that XXX Root Beer is a few miles from where I grew up. I really want to go there now.

Oh, way cool! When I was in first grade, I got really interested in the Maya, and wanted to go to Mexico ever since. I still haven't made it, but these are GREAT photos.

Paul Cornell links to yet another Tom Baker sings website. This one has no songs I recognize.

0 comments: