Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Wednesday Morning Weather Report

Since I know you are all just fascinated by our weather woes in Seattle...

A light dusting of snow last night during the freeze has made for some pretty landscapes. It wasn't enough to impact the roads, but it made the trees look good. Now that we're on day three of snow, most of the timid drivers are well off the roads and what's left are people who are confident enough to drive the right way, along with a handful of idiots who think that 4-wheel-drive gives them traction somehow. The freeways aren't too bad, but there's ice everywhere and back streets (like ours) are not for the weak of stomach.

All my predictions so far have been wrong. Oh well. That doesn't stop me from making more. Tonight we're supposed to get some more snow. I'm thinking it'll be light snow up here in our area. While I hope hubby-Eric's evening job is canceled tonight, I'm not counting on it. Then again, after the nightmare commute of Monday night, they might just be more willing to be kind. If it snows enough, the schools might be canceled again, but I really doubt it. Three snow days is too many for most districts to swallow, so they'll wait until tomorrow morning to announce any cancels.

I won't be going out driving today or tonight unless there's an emergency. While I know how to handle the snow and ice, I really don't like it. I doubt I'll go out walking either, as I hate ice even more when I'm walking.

And... by tomorrow morning we should have our usual rain back. The temperatures should be up above freezing, and the rain will melt what's left so we'll just have the usual dreary grey. Commuters will celebrate, schoolkids and poets will cry.

I'll update this post as the weather changes today. Let's see if tonight's snow actually happens. I won't be surprised if we get rain before the night gets too deep.

Update: Garbage pick-up in our area was canceled, as expected. The traffic on our road has been really light, as all three schools up the street (two private, one public) are canceled. The snow is sublimating, but it's overcast and looks like it's about to rain or snow at any second. I really wish I had that outdoor thermometer right now.

Update II: Eric's evening job called. Nope, he doesn't have to go in. With the schools canceled, I really doubt many of the kids would have shown up anyway. Now to keep an eye on the outside and another eye on the school closure listings and see what happens for tomorrow.

Update III: Wow, the comic store was open! But... she didn't get any of the comics boxes, just toys and relists. Urg. But then, in our area if there is any bad weather within 2000 miles we don't get our comics at any of the little shops. Diamond seems to put us on low priority. And no, I didn't go out to the comic shop to check, I called... not expecting anyone to answer. I was shocked that she was there.

Update IV: The latest weather reports are saying that rain will be happening before first light, and what snow we get will be really light. Good. The latest NWS report says we aren't going to get the storm until 2am, so I'm thinking we'll be ok. The snow scare of late November is almost OV-AH! (and yes, I'm grinning as I type this).

Update V: Last update of the night. It's almost 10 pm, and snowing hard outside. I'll have to wait until morning to find out the rest of the story.

0 comments: