Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? - Finally! They got rid of the one I didn't like. Any of the remaining singers would be good. I'm satisfied.
  • Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: "Diners You Sent Me To" - They got me with the "scratch-made biscuits and gravy". Maybe I'll have to visit Salt Lake City again.
  • The Next Food Network Star: "Vegas Throwdown" - Ok, I really didn't expect that. Really.
  • History Detectives - I really enjoyed this one. But then, I usually do enjoy the show. I was particularly interested in the balloon bomb story, as I'd heard about the people killed by one in Oregon, and have always been fascinated by the attacks. I wonder how many of those bombs are still out there, deadly and waiting.
  • Dinner: Impossible: "Far East Feast" - Every time Robert gets into a bad situation, I just think, "he's getting what he deserves." But this one is bad even for him. Let's face it: if the equipment works and he gets all the supplies he needs, he'll always beat the clock.
  • Ace of Cakes: "World's Largest Cupcake" - Eh, cupcakes. I liked the roulette cake much more. I also loved the stupid little skits they scattered through this episode. Utterly silly but amusing.
  • Ghost Hunters International: "Devil Dog" - None of the evidence was convincing, but the stories were great. I prefered the place in England to the Opera House. Theaters are always a bit boring, because sound carries entirely too well in them. The abandoned house, on the other hand, was a creepy place just on its own... add in the stories and it looked like a place that would be fun to visit and scare yourself in.
Comics this week:
  • Trinity #7 - I really want to like this book, but I'm just sort of "eh" about it.
  • Checkmate #28 - Someday I will figure out what is going on in this book.
  • Tiny Titans #6 - YAY! Pure goofy kid goodness! YAY! Super-pets! Fluffy the fish is included! YAY!
  • Conan the Cimmerian #1 - Typical Conan story. Not bad, not great.
I got another issue of Fortean Times, but delayed reading it until the house went on the market. This issue's cover story is about the Golem of Prague, and the article is quite good, covering the possible real origins of the legend in a pretty convincing way. It's all conjecture, but it's reasonable conjecture. I also enjoyed reading about the Liverpool appearances of Spring-heeled Jack. If we weren't moving, I would put several of the books reviewed into the KCLS system to see if I could get them. As usual, Fortean Times was a good read this month. I hope I get my new address very soon, so I can make sure I don't miss an issue.

0 comments: