Thursday, October 11, 2012

New Bed

Hubby-Eric and I put up the new bed last night. It's just a Hollywood frame, two bi-fold box springs (they pack flat!) and two gel/foam mattresses that shipped rolled up and vacuum packed. When the boxes arrived yesterday morning, I was in mild despair because I could not accept that a full bed could fit into the three relatively small boxes.

But the bed is up, and we slept on it for the first time last night. I woke up sometime in the night when I tried to turn over because Inkwell had settled against my legs and wasn't moving. Otherwise, I had a pretty good night. I was able to sleep comfortably on my back, which I haven't been able to do in a long time.

The cat came up and woke me about 15 minutes before my alarm was due to go off. He meowed and purred and then settled down in the crook of my arm until the alarm went off, then leaped off the bed in one bound to meow me to his food dish.

Eric stopped me on the landing, awake before me as usual (he suffers from severe insomnia). He said, "Laura, we're going to have to get rid of the bed." I was astonished, and asked him why. "Because it pulled me down into a grip of sleep, and now I don't have time to do everything I usually do in the morning." He paused. "In other words, we're keeping the bed."

We spend roughly a third of our lives in bed. I think it's about time for us to get something that will make that time as pleasant as possible.

0 comments: