Thursday, January 17, 2013

Gun Control

Oh man, the gun control debate. Ouch.

I could write a few essays on the topic, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to really state what I feel about it. Let's just say I want some serious gun control, but I also want to be able to purchase and keep a gun if I choose.

I guess I'm a realist in many ways. I know some extremely responsible gun owners and when I think "gun owner" they are the ones I think of. But I know there are a lot of folks out there who aren't the slightest bit responsible, and deep in my heart I don't want them to have guns.

I think owning a gun should have at least as many restrictions as owning a car. Gun owners should have a license that proves they've passed a safety test. Guns should be registered to an owner who is responsible for their use, including being financially responsible if the gun is used in a crime or preventable accident. Insurance should be required for all gun owners. Considering all the idiots who are able to drive, this wouldn't stop gun violence. It might cut down on it a bit. Maybe.

I'm not for banning guns completely. But I do want gun control, preferably written in part by responsible gun owners.

0 comments: