I've been wanting to "preserve" a few of my favorite article that I've written for work, and say a few things about the articles, the events, what I was thinking at the time... but I can't say too much. So I'm going to post some links, each with a very short comment, to articles that I like or want to remember.
Because our paper does not put everything online, there are more articles I've written, some that I really enjoyed, that won't be included. But it's been quite a trip just going through these. I'm going to start in November of 2011, because that's as far back as I've been saving them in the newsreader...
- Halloween the theme of latest science camp staged in Sunnyside - 1 Nov 2011 - I had lots of fun watching these kids do simple science experiments
- Army Corps of Engineers district commander visits future site of Port of Sunnyside wetlands - 4 Nov 2011 - This was a great chance to get out into the wilds of the Yakima Valley with people who really knew what they are talking about. I learned a lot on this trip.
- Grandview fair, rodeo dinner a great success - 4 Nov 2011 - Cowboy Buck and Elizabeth were a blast to watch.
- Stage Review - Schilperoort delivers in Grandview High's 'Harvey' - 2 Dec 2011 - High School plays can be hit and miss, but I do enjoy reviewing them.
- Book Review - Fascinating book reveals the origins of a cultural phenomenon - 2 Dec 2011 - Book reviews are also right up my alley, though this one needed some serious editing work.
- Cross for chapel at rehabilitation center is family effort - 2 Dec 2011 - Going to get all the pieces of this story was fascinating work.
- Local man earns caregiver award for his selflessness - 7 Dec 2011 - This was a difficult one to write in some ways, easy in others. The story was touching, and I liked my finished article despite the flaws.
- 'Wreathes Across America' instituted at Grandview Cemetery - 12 Dec 2011 - It was so cold that morning that the ink in my pen froze.
- Sunnyside officials say 'yes' vote on school levy will mean lower taxes - 16 Dec 2011 - Oddly enough, taxes were kept lower by the yes vote on the levy. I spent a great deal of time making sure I understood the whole complicated mess perfectly before I wrote one word about it.
- Former Billy Graham Crusades advance team member celebrates Christmas with nativity sets - 23 Dec 2011 - I learned a lot more about Billy Graham and enjoyed talking with the subject of this feature.
- Senior logs 350 miles walking at retirement home - 27 Dec 2011 - This lady was AWESOME to talk with.
- Centennial Square rose from ashes of downtown fire, thanks to local couple - 28 Dec 2011 - Vlieger and I are on opposite sides of many city issues, I think, but I still find I often respect the man, particularly because of acts like the one described in this article. Even if it was a tax dodge as some cynics claim, it did quite a bit for the city.