Friday, November 01, 2013

Hallowe'en Post-Mortem

So, it took me until about halfway through the night before I started to feel the joy of Hallowe'en again. I really wished I could have been more excited earlier. I would have done a bit more decorating and paid a little more attention to Eric as he got the candy and such. As it was, I think I actually told Eric that I didn't want to do Hallowe'en candy this year, and suggested we shut off all the lights or leave for the night.

Anyway, we estimated the number of children by the amount of candy Eric bought and how much we gave out. Eric got 11 bags that were supposed to be 80 count, and then a few more bags that were about 40 candies each. We got through all the 11 bags and made a good start on the rest. So we're estimating about 900 trick-or-treaters.

I took the video of Eric handing out candy about halfway through the rush, and it was a fairly normal rush for the night. I've already showed it to a bunch of people at work who were amazed at the crowds we have.

A suggestion has thus been made, which I will have to run past Eric to see if he thinks it's a good idea. My co-workers suggested that Eric and I throw a big Hallowe'en party next year with the price of admission being a few bags of candy to give out to trick-or-treaters. As Eric and I are teetotalers, we'd have to make it BYOB and hope that nobody gets out of hand. It would have to be a potluck, as well. But with a dozen adults and some children running around with extra bags of candy, we could probably handle the crowds much better and have a fun night as well. It's something to think about for next year. Most of my co-workers live in areas with little or no trick-or-treating, so they'd have the opportunity to see the little ones and party as well...

I'm sure there's a really good reason not to do it, but I can't think of it. Good thing I've got a year to think about it.


This is what people who came up to our door saw last night.
Yeah, not a lot of decorations. Maybe next year.

0 comments: