Sunday, April 23, 2017

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Aug 17th
  • Aquaman #5 - Ah, the big blue boy scout. I wondered when he would make an appearance. This issue is mostly just showing the escalation by the United States of the problem, with side bits to show how Manta and Tula are doing. But it still manages to be pretty cool all around. I like the bickering between Mera and Arthur - and dislike it as well. Stressful in tone, and worried, but still loving in many ways. Overll, decent issue.
  • Green Lanterns #5 - Not a whole lot of progress in this issue. In fact, I'm not really sure the story has progressed at all. The pacing is definitely way too slow. Information that could be conveyed in a few panels takes an entire book to tell. I'm just bored, now.
  • Justice League #3 - Aquaman seems to have some sort of solution in his grasp, but hasn't made the connection. As for Superman, I laughed aloud when he noted that using his heat vision wasn't going to work. Ha. Not too bad.
  • Scooby Apocalypse #44 - I'm really liking this book, and especially the relationships growing between the characters. Scooby is awesome, but I could do without the other dogs showing up in that scene. I wonder what Velma found, which makes that a nicely effective cliff-hanger. While this certainly isn't the Scooby-Doo I grew up with, I am enjoying this version, enough to recommend it to open-minded fans.
  • Teen Titans Go #17 - Two silly stories, as usual. I wasn't overly impressed with them, but then, I'm not the target audience. I do enjoy the Mad Mod, and his story was ok. The first one was almost incomprehensible. Good art, some funny jokes... I don't particularly recommend it, though.
  • Back To The Future #11 - Seems like a happy ending, but is it really? Marty admits to himself that he's just craving adventure, having missed the "fun" of his experiences with Doc Brown in the past. I like that Jennifer gets involved.
  • Doctor Who Supremacy of the Cybermen #2 - Lots of Doctors and companions and a confusing storyline from which I gleaned that this is a nasty full-scale invasion throughout time and space - and includes the Time Lords getting involved. I hope this pulls together as we go along. Some of the artwork is a bit off, in my opinion, but overall it's just ok.
  • Xena Warrior Princess #5 - So Octavius wants a PR person? And Xena is giving him the handle over Gabrielle he needs. And... where did Ares go? Art is still very sketchy and the story is only slightly understandable.
I can't believe how far behind in my comic books I am, but that's what depression will do to a person. I'm going to make efforts to catch up, but I don't know if they will work, all things considered. I'm still trying to pull myself together, and my private writing is improving almost to the point I'm willing to share it... I did share a goofy short story/thought experiment a week or so ago, so I know I'm beginning to feel a little confidence again.

I also hope to start looking at the Hugo Finalists soon, since I do plan on voting. When I can, I'll try to post thoughts on them here.

In any case, back to my piles of comics. I need to get through them if only to keep Inkwell from knocking them to the floor.

0 comments: