Tuesday, July 11, 2017

A Hugo Review: Best Related Work - Traveler of Worlds by Robert Silverberg and Alvaro Zinos-Amaro

Traveler of Worlds: Conversations with Robert Silverberg by Robert Silverberg and Alvaro Zinos-Amaro is a wide-ranging book of transcribed conversations between the two authors about Silverberg's life and writings.

The good: Lots of great information about Silverberg in here, his opinions, his work - it may not be all-inclusive, but it's one heckuva way to get to know the guy. The back and forth between the two is natural, and I was amused by the inclusion of the cat's activities at one point. The conversations ranged all over the place, but Zinos-Amaro seems to have managed to keep Silverberg mostly on track and edited the book to keep similar conversations in the same chapters.

The bad: Because these are conversations are a particular point in his life, looking back, there is really only one point of view. After reading the Gaiman and Le Guin books, which seemed to dash all over the place and were both written over the course of years, this book felt a little like a one-trick pony. There were also a couple of spots where Silverberg expressed opinions I found... unlikable. That's his right, and even his duty, but I was surprised to find myself respecting him less after reading those conversations. I believe that is a fault in me, not him, but it did affect how I responded to the work.

Conclusion: This probably gets the third or fourth spot at the moment. I'm sure my entire ballot order will change at least three more times in the days I have to finish it.

Best Related Work: I've read The Women of Harry Potter, The Princess Diarist, The View From the Cheap Seats, Traveler of Worlds, and Words Are My Matter. I still need to read The Geek Feminist Revolution.

0 comments: