Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Earworms and Shoulder Robins


Often at work, a person (customer or employee, it hardly matters) will start to whistle or hum a familiar tune. If it's catchy enough, it'll get stuck in your head, and nothing will dislodge it. The not-so-technical term for a song stuck in your head is "earworm". Or so my manager informed me that she'd learned recently. This naturally led to a discussion of what would it take to get an earworm out of your head. The receiving clerk decided that we needed "shoulder robins", songs that don't tend to get stuck in your head, but can drown out the earworm long enough to stop you from singing it.

Apparently, the worst of the earworms is "It's a Small World". I tend to get the Brady Bunch theme stuck in my head. Or the "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins". Today it was the Chiquita Banana song. My manager uses "Mairzy Doats" as a shoulder robin, but that song doesn't work for me.

So, at the risk of becoming the most hated person on the blog-o-sphere for the day, what are your worst earworms, and your favorite shoulder robins?

0 comments: