Monday, March 17, 2003

No War


I watched Bush's speech on CNN with hubby-Eric while eating dinner. Bush made himself look good, the first time I actually felt he had any presidential presence. He made his arguments well, and spoke cleanly and crisply. If I agreed with the premise of his argument, that Iraq is a serious threat and will continue to be a threat in the near future, perhaps I would even be able to support the war.

I don't agree. I have seen no evidence, much less proof, of a link between al Qaeda and Saddam. In fact, the only link I've seen is that video in which Osama called for the Iraqi people to overthrow Saddam. Yeah, lots of love between the two of them, I'm sure. Yet Bush is implying that taking on Iraq is also taking on al Qaeda. I don't see the link, nor do I agree that Iraq will be a threat to us in a year, or five years, or even a decade, if we don't take action.

Still... Bush said it correctly. He called on the Iraqi military to give up peacefullly, even promised that they won't get slaughtered if they do. He promised the Iraqi people freedom from Saddam. He didn't demand complete surrender, just exile for Saddam and his sons.

So I guess it's time to sit back and pray that not too many innocents will die in the coming battles, whatever form those battles may take. And maybe hope without hope that there will be no war... whether it be because Saddam gives himself up, or Bush doesn't strike, or the Iraqi soldiers surrender.

0 comments: