Sunday, April 27, 2003

Legislature Blues


All this talk of Rick Santorum, and there's TONS of nasty stuff out there about him now, made me realize to my shame that I couldn't remember who my representatives are. I mean, I voted... but after that I just kind of put it out of my mind. I put my vote in and just had faith in the process. A pretty odd viewpoint for a hardened politician-hater like myself. Anyway, after reading the latest garbage of Santorum ("More on Slick Rick") over at This Modern World I realized that I am very remiss in my duties as a citizen because I can't even name my state reps, much less the Senators from Washington (and that should be easy!).

So I went to check out the information on the people who are running the state and country in my name.

I live in Washington's 1st Legislative District. My State Senator is Rosemary McAuliffe, a Democrat. The two State representatives from my District are Al O'Brien and Jeanne Edwards... both Democrats. I'm not positive I voted for any of them, but I suspect I did. On their websites at the state legislature site, it shows what bills they've sponsored and their voting records. I think I'll go through those lists at some point, since they affect me even more than what the folks in the other Washington do.

The Washington State Senators working in the other Washington are Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell, both Democrats and both of whom I have a better knowledge of than I was afraid I would. Jay Inslee, another Democrat, is my Representative. The information on congress.org makes it simple for me to write to them, but it's a little harder to figure out their voting records and other information. For that, I have to go to their "home" sites: Maria Cantwell, who replaced Slade Gorton (who I met and hated after that meeting), Patty Murray and Jay Inslee. Their websites seem to reflect their personalities to an extent, and they have more useful information although it's spiked with a nice dose of spin.

0 comments: