Wednesday, May 21, 2003

Random Links


I received some very sad news in my e-mail this morning that I'm still trying to deal with, so here's some links I've been collecting for later posting. I was going to try to make my comments a little more polished and intelligent, but I haven't got the will to work on it this morning. Maybe later.

God be with you, Leah, in this time of pain. My prayers are with you.

Here's a story that's being ignored a little too much. Basically, if this law passes in Tenessee, people living there will have to get permission from their cable company to hook anything up to their cable. So, if your cable company doesn't like TiVo, sorry, you are breaking the law by hooking it up. You want to put a router on your cable modem line? Sorry, you must rent the cable comapany's router instead. Why isn't this story getting more play?

Warren Buffett makes an effort to explain why tax cuts for the rich are dumb. The full article is here (may require free registration), and there's another summary over here.

I think I've finally found a viewpoint that makes the conservative optimism about the war in Iraq make sense to me. I don't know if it's right or not, but it definitely has allowed me to see the other side of the equation, something which I'd previously been unable to do (to my immense frustration). A nice summary is in the instapundit archive, and the full article is here. Do I agree with it? In part, yes... but I'm not sure... I'm just not sure. Bush and his aides lied to us. They told us they had proof of WMD and that they'd find them quickly. To date, none have been found. Can a conflict forced through by a lie result in good things? All is possible. But I still see our rights being eroded, and I see the chaos in Afghanistan, and I'm just not sure. We live in entirely too interesting times.

Also from Instapundit is a really solid critique of the BBC story about Jessica Lynch's rescue being faked. Whew.

0 comments: