Thursday, May 22, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 14 May 2003 - Part III


Power Company #16: Ah, the Haunted Tank! This is very much a mish-mash of story, but there's an awful lot there, and I'm doubly upset that this series is ending so soon. I hope there is enough time to resolve the storyline around Witchfire, and I really like the intro of the Haunted Tank. Man, I'm gonna miss this series. 4 starfish

Aquaman #6: When faced with his own demons, Aquaman is always at a disadvantage. In this issue, the demon he is faced with is, as he puts it in the corrected version, his "evil twin". It's all his rage and self-pity put into a clay form. Only, unlike all the other times he's faced down his inner demons, this time the threat isn't to him alone. It's to every river on the planet. Good job, Artie. You and Tempest have your work cut out for you. 3 1/2 starfish

Arrowsmith Preview in Horizon: The bit in French amused me, because I can't read much French, but I still figured out most of what they were saying before I went to Google to translate the rest. I'm now looking forward to this mini series. 4 starfish

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Poodle Hat: Another somewhat lackluster effort. By my count, there's six songs I never want to hear again, three songs I don't mind, and three that aren't too bad. The best effort is probably "Couch Potato", a parody of "Lose Yourself" by Eminem. I think this effort owes a lot to the original song for its strength, and I actually find myself interested in hearing an Eminem song now... whoa. The other two strong songs are "eBay" (parody of "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys) and "Ode To A Superhero" (parody of Billy Joel's "Piano Man"). I usually prefer Al's original songs to his parodies, but this album is a big exception. The extras were fun, including a strange home video of Al as a child, trying to prove that he's always been weird. I particularly like the sing-a-long lyrics. 2 1/2 starfish

I'm really working hard on getting my reviews all caught up to the actual books that are coming out... I figure I might be caught up by November at the current rate. Still to review from May 14th are Silken Ghost and Green Lantern, and I've got May 21st's books now too, including Batman Adventures, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Amazing Spider-Man, and Crossovers. And the Smallville finale, too. And I've got a couple of trades, a couple of DVDs, and some other stuff to review also. (and my little sister sent me something from my Amazon.com wishlist, thanks Lisa!).

0 comments: