Friday, May 30, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 29 May 2003 - Part I


Futurama #13: Ok, this issue is surreal. Even for this book. But I also found it considerably more amusing than any other issue I've read. Which really isn't saying much. 3 starfish

JLA #81: Strange, I'm having a flashback. To what? To the Obsidian Age storyline. You see, the only reason I followed that storyline so closely was because I knew what the payoff would be: the return of Aquaman. This story is promising to be just as convoluted, and I have no idea if the payoff is worth reading the book for. I'm not impressed. 2 1/2 starfish

Ruse #20: I need a bigger scorecard. Most of the characters are explained in the pages well enough that even someone with my faulty memory can keep up, but the activities are still zipping by quickly enough that I'm having trouble keeping track. And this is a detective book, right? I want to see more detecting! 3 starfish

Still to review: Green Lantern, Age of Wonder, Scary Monsters, Graduation Day, and Alan Moore.

And just to throw you off a little, here's a review completely unrelated to comic books.

A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar: Not the movie. I still haven't seen the movie. The book is incredible, though. This is a fascinating study of one man's journey into madness and back out again. It jumps around through time a bit, enough to throw off a casual reader. There is nothing casual about trying to read this book, so don't even try if you aren't willing to put a little effort into it. But if you do, OH you will be rewarded. 4 1/2 starfish

0 comments: