Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 7 May 2003 - Part III


Uncanny X-Men #423: What the heck, it was only 25 cents. Of course, after reading it, I might wish I'd spent that money a little better. Let's see: the good - Marvel has a recap on their first page, which allows the casual reader to get up-to-speed on the story so far... which is good because this story makes utterly no sense without the recap, and not much more with it. It reads like a particularly bad soap opera: "Person F is going out with person H, but he's actually in love with person W". The images on the recap page at least give the casual reader an idea who each person is, but I had to read the recap a couple of times before I thought I was ready to read the book itself. Once into the book, there is an ad on almost every other page. Almost every right-hand page until the last few story pages is an ad. I'm not sure why that distracted me so much, but it did. The story itself was supposed to be dramatic, but other than a bunch of people dying because they are mutants there was very little impact. As soon as I saw that Jubilee was one of the people dying I figured it wasn't a permanent death for most, if not all, of the characters. And, while I'm familiar with some of the folks from other interpretations of the X-Men, the way they are portrayed here rang false to me. Yeah, I know, I'm not an X-fan, how would I know. But I just didn't buy any of it. It just wasn't a very good comic. 1 1/2 starfish

0 comments: