Monday, May 05, 2003

Rapid Reviews - Free Comic Book Day 2003 - Part III


Christa Shermot's 100% Guaranteed How-To Manual for Getting Anyone to Read Comic Books!!!: There is one serious problem with this "manual". It's really hard to read. I don't mean that the words have too many syllables or something, I mean that it's poorly designed and the word balloons are hard to follow. You can't convince someone that comics are fun to read if the method you are using to convince them is itself too difficult to read. Other than that, it's ok. 3 starfish This book is for Older Readers (13+).

Avatar Graphic Novel Sampler: I should've know when I saw the names "Warren Ellis" and "Garth Ennis" that this wouldn't be my cuppa. Still, the format is very good, with enough pages for the featured graphic novels to get a good feel for them combined with a useful text overview. None of them interested me, though. Not even the Alan Moore and Steven Grant stuff. 2 1/2 starfish This book is for Adults (18+).

Leave It To Chance: Wow. I had heard good things about this book, now I know why. I'm afraid that this one would be on the pull list a moment after I read this free comic if I had the money to add it. As it is, those collections sound mighty tempting. $15 hardcovers reprinting four issues each? Heck yeah! 4 1/2 starfish This book is All-Ages.

Crud, now I gotta go out and get Leave it to Chance. Grrr. Free Comic Book Day has a hidden cost... *ahem* Three more books read and reviewed makes 10 down and 9 to go. Think I'll finish by Wednesday? Again, another thank you to Corner Comics owner Paige for allowing me to pick up every free comic.

0 comments: