Sunday, May 04, 2003

Rapid Reviews - Free Comic Book Day 2003 - Part II


Batman Adventures #1: A good start to another series based on the animated version of Batman. I prefer the animated version, but one reason I prefer it is because it has less of a back-story than the main Batman books. That's rapidly becoming less true. On the other hand, certain characters have developed in entirely different ways than their regular DCU counterparts, which really has made following this series, both the cartoons and comics, worth it. And this is definitely a good start to the latest incarnation. 4 starfish This book is All-Ages.

Ultimate X-Men #1: Ug. I know what I like in superheroes, and this doesn't even come close. It's a re-imagining of the X-Men, but it's in fast-forward. Not for me. Not at all. 2 1/2 starfish This book is for Older Readers (13+).

Slave Labor Stories: For a sampler, this is good. The format was excellent, although I really wished for another page or two per feature. Still, they had to jam lots of stuff into a very little space. Quality-wise, I wasn't as impressed. The overuse of profanity got boring very quickly in some of the stories, only about half of them were of interest to me. Halo and Sprocket was amusing, Private Beach was odd but well-drawn, Ghost with Black Fingers was strangely compelling, Pandora's Lunchbox and Lenore were cute, and Comic Book Heaven Sampler was fun. The rest I could have lived without ever reading. 3 1/2 starfish This book is for Adults (18+).

Ok, that's it for the moment. Three more makes seven down and 12 to go. Wow, this is a plethora of comics. I'm drowning in them. Thank you, Paige!

0 comments: