Friday, July 11, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 9 July 2003 - Part II

Green Arrow #28: Hmmmm. Interesting relationship as indicated on the cover. I have to wonder if Ollie isn't getting in over his head. Then again, Ollie generally does get in over his head in almost every situation and yet still manages to get out somehow. Gruesome cliffhanger, but this title has never shied away from blood and guts. 3 1/2 starfish

Superman/Batman Generations III #7: Something about parademons and Superman and stuff... Maybe this will read better once the whole series is out and I can read it all at once. Maybe it would've been better as a four-issue mini like the other two, since the same ground seems to be covered in every single issue. I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered getting it... oh yeah, it's because I'm a completist and I collect Elseworlds. 2 1/2 starfish

Fallen Angel #1: Um. Er. Well. I can't really describe this book. I'm not sure what I was expecting, and I'm not sure what I got. There are some true oddities (spoilers, highlight to read): (end spoilers). Is PAD playing with fire here? Then there's the main character, Lee. The only connection I can think of to the Supergirl series is the name of Supergirl's town: Leesburg. Then there is the name of the town in this series, Bete Noire, "Black Beast". Not something most people would want to call a town. This one gets a positive rating mostly because it's interesting enough to make me want to come back to it, not because it was a fantastically good book. 3 1/2 starfish

Still to review: Way of the Rat, JSA, and Power Company.

I can't afford it, but I'd like to support a fellow blogger whose blog I generally enjoy. Tom Tomorrow of This Modern World has a new collection of his cartoons out: The Great Big Book of Tomorrow: A Treasury of Cartoons. Of course, while you are at it, you can purchase blogger Wil Wheaton's new book Dancing Barefoot. I also wouldn't object to anyone buying something from my wishlist for me, as that may be the only way I get to read some of those books. Sigh.

0 comments: