Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 20 August 2003 - Part I

Cinnamon El Ciclo #1: I read this one first because I wasn't sure what to expect. In fact, I'm not sure why I ordered it, I just had a little mental nudge that said, "you'll like it" and I listened. Well, no matter where the intuition came from, it was right, I did like it. Nice art, and the story moves along well. There's a lot said that isn't told outright, the old "show not tell" in action. Yeah, this is a keeper. 4 starfish

Batman Adventures #5: I wasn't sure, when this series began, how much I'd enjoy a Batman Adventures with an ongoing plotline, as I feel that's one of the major weaknesses of the current regular Batman books: too much continuity. However, this has been handled well from the start, and the stories are strong enough, and stand alone well enough, to make up for any problem I might have with self-referential books. The backup story is also very interesting, and makes me wonder, yet again, how Cobblepot became Mayor... 4 starfish

Good start to this week's reading. Still to review: Birds of Prey, JLA Scary Monsters, Outsiders, Arrowsmith, and Way of the Rat.

0 comments: