Sunday, August 17, 2003

Sketchbook - Phil Jimenez

Phil Jimenez was the writer and artist on the wonderful "Tempest" mini-series, that changed Aqualad from a sidekick into one of the most powerful mages in the DC Universe. In addition to the amazing artwork, Jimenez showed an understanding and appreciation of Aquaman's friend that managed to single-handedly erase years of jokes and turn him into a character that expressed the deep pain of losing a loved one. You see, Aqualad's girlfriend, Tula, died in the Crisis. She has come back (don't they all?) but in this series Tula is put completely to rest... and Tempest gets a new costume based on one that Neal Pozner designed for Aquaman. This is important, because if you read the letters pages at the end of the final issue you learn why, and it links with the deep pain and the loved one thing.

"I can't keep waiting for you to come back to me, because you're not going to. I've got to go live the rest of my life and that means letting you go. You see, for so long I was afraid that if I let go, I'd somehow forget you... and that you'd think I didn't love you anymore -- that I was rejecting everything we'd ever shared. But I know now I could never forget you. You were my first love... and you'll always be a part of me." - Tempest (Tempest #4 Feb 1997)


AQUAMAN
by Phil Jimenez
20 Jul 2000
(permission to post given 5 Aug 2003 via e-mail)

My last sketch of the first day of San Diego 2000. I was exhausted, and wanted to fall over somewhere, but I also wanted to meet Mike Carlin, and had been told he be at the DC Booth "later", so here I was, later, looking for him. As I entered the DC Booth, I heard someone say "Phil Jimenez", and got into a line (at that point, it was just automatic). Phil was gracious and wonderful, and his sketch of Aquaman is downright gorgeous. That night of the con was one of the more unbelievable nights of my life, as I ended up going to dinner with legendary Aquaman artist Nick Cardy. Getting a sketch from Phil Jimenez was one of those amazing highs that were common that day.

To see all the sketches I have permission to post so far, check out my Sketchbook Page. If you have any contact information for any of the other artists I'm trying to contact, please e-mail me.

Update: Just a thought. I don't want anybody to go hunting on-line and through the phone books looking for contact information you don't already have. I only want you to contact me with information if you happen to have their address handy. I'm busy googling all these artists myself, but some (like Karl Kesel for instance) are really hard to contact. Some (like Mark Brill) have multiple e-mail addresses, all of which bounced. Once I've made contact, good or bad, the artist will come off the list. Tonight, as I browsed the web, I found three possible e-mails for three of the artists on the list and have sent them notes. I have another artist's permission at the moment, and I'm preparing his sketch too. But this is a long-term, no rush project. I don't want anyone to stress out trying to help me, or worse, to harrass some poor artist on my list. Thanks.

0 comments: