Thursday, September 18, 2003

Don't Take Away My Blanket!!!

I got another letter into the Seattle Times today. No, it's not about the teacher strike in Marysville. I'm afraid most of the stuff I write about that isn't suitable to be printed in a family newspaper. This one is about the state's blanket primary. Our primary is flawed, yes. It allows for political parties. If I were in charge, I'd simply remove that bit. Whoever the top two vote-getters are, regardless of party, they'd be in the general election. As it is, though, it tries to be kind to political parties and allow one from each into the general election. And that's the issue the court seized upon to declare our primary unconstitutional. So I wrote a letter to the Times, and they printed it. Incidently, about 75% of Washington voters prefer our primary, which is the same percentage of letters supporting it. Nice symmetry.

Update: I didn't realize that the Seattle Times is now requiring people to register to get access to their archives. The first link should work for a few days, but the other two links ask for an invasive registration (which I apparently have already done, or I couldn't get at their archive). I can't find a non-registration version of the stories, sorry.

0 comments: