Saturday, September 27, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 24 September 2003 - Part II

Empire #3: Lots of conspiracy. Lots of different things happening. And, hey, I finally found a character that I like. Ok, he's a bit... tied up... but maybe he'll continue to have a reason in the book. Overall, this book is looking up, but it's got three more issues. It hasn't done much for me so far, maybe it'll be better as it goes along. 3 1/2 starfish

Amazing Spider-Man #58/499: I'm really not a big cosmic fan, but JMS seems to do cosmic pretty well, and I find it interesting that Spidey is just trying to help keep the bad guys away from the main battle... and gets a lot more than he's bargained for. It also has the best short description of Shroedinger's Cat I've seen in a long time. But the real clincher is the cliffhanger. If it means what I think it means... 4 starfish

Warning: After the recent problems with CrossGen, you may want to take any of my reviews of CrossGen books with a grain of salt, as I may be filtering my perceptions through mud-colored glasses. This negative perception will last at least until Robin Riggs is paid for the work he did for CrossGen, and possibly until Robin also gets that personalized apology from Alessi for Alessi's slander against Robin.

Silken Ghost #5: Well, it didn't happen exactly the way I predicted, but it was fairly close. A sad little tale of betrayal and lost love. And, of course, the Laughing Ghost got exactly what he wanted, which was the fate he deserved. It was an ok mini, but never rose above mildly entertaining. 3 1/2 starfish

Marvel Previews #2/Crimson Dynamo #1: Not a lot of interest in the Previews bit itself. In fact, it's less interesting than last month's offering. The Crimson Dynamo issue was, again, very interesting but not enough to inspire me to pick up the book. It's nice, I guess, to get a full issue of a comic book considering that the price for Previews went up $3 for me thanks to Marvel's bright idea, but I'm still not pleased with the developments. 3 starfish

Silver Age Teen Titans Archives Vol 1: I actually finished this last night, the fastest I've ever read through an Archive. I loved it. Yes, it was outdated. If the Teen Titans had aged at the same rate as their tales, they'd be in their 50's now. But it was fun. And the Nick Cardy artwork is just beautiful! 4 starfish

Next week's books: Astro City, Powers, Ruse, Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror, Way of the Rat, Superman: Birthright, Formerly Known as the Justice League, and Justice League Adventures... if everything comes.

0 comments: