Saturday, September 20, 2003

Sketchbook - John McCrea

Getting artwork from artists I've never heard of is actually a bit more common than I care to admit. In John's case, though, it was entirely a mistake. I got in line for someone else, but by the time I reached the front of the line, the first artist was gone and John McCrea (artist on Hitman, The Demon, and Troubled Souls) had replaced him. I was mildly worried that John wouldn't do an Aquaman sketch, but he drew this for me despite not having drawn Aquaman before for a sketch.


AQUAMAN
by John McCrea
22 July 2000
(permission to post given 17 August 2003 via e-mail)
John McCrea's Website

This was another sketch done at San Diego 2000. The water marks on the sketch were an accident. Right after he'd finished sketching, John picked up his water glass, which splashed a little. I thought it was mildly ironic. I've noticed that a lot of artists who draw Aquaman like to include fish. I ought to go back through the sketchbook sometime and count the number of fish I now have sketches of, too. Does this one count as two or as one and a half?

To see all the sketches I have permission to post so far, check out my Sketchbook Page. If you have any contact information for any of the other artists I'm trying to contact, please e-mail me.

0 comments: