Saturday, February 07, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 4 February 2004 - Extra TV Reviews

Smallville: Hereafter [3-12]: Wow. There were a few seconds in this episode that just blew me away. Those would be the few seconds that Jordan looked into Clark's future. Wow. While this one had a "freak of the week" feel, there were lots of nice moments that built up. I love the game the writers are playing with "Adam Knight". You'll find as many people convinced that he's Bruce Wayne as you will people who are convinced he isn't. And the choice of opening song fit the episode perfectly. 4 starfish

Angel: You're Welcome: I've been watching Angel after Smallville for a few weeks, mostly out of laziness. I didn't feel like changing the channel or turning off the TV. Anyway, I never watched Buffy. I figured I'd like it, but I didn't want another addiction. Well, Angel has caught me just in time for the 100th episode. As a non-Buffy fan, who doesn't understand a lot of what's going on in the show, I found it very accessible. I knew that Angel is a vampire, the rest is explained quickly every episode. While some of the exposition is a bit much (last week's episode was odd that way) I'm still glad for it. And, if there is actually something I don't understand, I can generally visit Peter David's blog a couple of days later and get the full story. What really gets me is the humor. These immortal vampires who want to do good, but are snarky and obnoxious to each other... like Angel giving this impassioned speech that he doesn't want to put anyone he cares about in danger... finishing with Spike saying "I'll go" and Angel's quick response, "Ok." Anyway, the ending of this one actually hit me pretty hard, despite not having a clue who Cordelia was. It's simply a very well-crafted show. I wish more of television was like it... no, on second thought, I don't. Then I'd watch more TV. I'm happy with my current limited TV interests. 4 starfish

0 comments: