Thursday, July 29, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 28 July 2004 - Part I

Yeah, I do comic reviews here too...

Superman: Birthright #12: And... Superman saves the day with a big assist from Lois. Nice touch right at the end, too. Overall, though, I still don't like the art style and the plot isn't original enough to overcome. 3 starfish

Futurama #18: Huh. That was actually pretty good. Even if you aren't a Futurama fan (like, oh, me) there are lots of little touches that make this one worth giving a go. Not to mention the useful explanations of everything from Cubert. A surprisingly fun little story. 3 1/2 starfish

A Bunch of Baboons: This is an extremely late Free Comic from Free Comic Book Day. It just hit our store this week. Had it come out on time, I might have been more willing to give it a fair shake, as I was reading a bunch of stuff that week that I normally wouldn't read. This week, though, I gave it a flip through and didn't enjoy it much. With a book like this, timing is important. 2 starfish

Avengers #85/500: A thoroughly confusing tale that rips apart everything I knew about the Avengers in one fell swoop. I'm glad I didn't buy it for myself. 3 starfish

DC Comics/2000 AD Preview #1: Nice little free book that gives us American readers a quick introduction to some of the books DC is bringing across the pond. For a sampler, this is quite excellent. It gives a good taste of what each comic is like, and makes me slightly curious about a couple of them. If you are at all interested in the 2000 AD books, this is one to get your hands on. 4 starfish

Still to review: Conan, Usagi Yojimbo, DC Presents Hawkman, The New Frontier, Green Lantern, Another Nail, JLA, Amazing Spider-Man, Powers, Samurai Executioner, and the reprint of the Classic Illustrated Jr Wizard of Oz.