Sunday, September 12, 2004

Seattle ComiCard Convention - September 12th 2004

Today was a Seattle ComiCard Convention day. The listed guests didn't all show while hubby-Eric and I were there, but we only stayed for a couple of hours.

The first person I talked with was Kathleen Webb, who is best known for her work on Archie comics. I got a sketch from her back at the first Emerald City Comicon, just before I started asking for permissions. She has no problem with me posting her sketch, a non-Aquaman but aquatic nonetheless sketch. It will be posted on October 2nd.

My goal for this con was one sketch and one permission. Halfway there already!

Next up was Bill Schelly, author of Words of Wonder: The Life and Times of Otto Binder and all-around comic book historian and generally cool guy. I had him sign my copy of the Otto Binder (rhymes with tinder) book (which I haven't reviewed only because I haven't yet finished enjoying it). Bill told me there aren't a lot of copies left and also that Jackie Estrada admitted to him that the book probably contributed to Otto getting a much-deserved spot in the Eisner Awards Hall of Fame.

After talking with Bill for a few minutes, we wandered over to where Roberta Gregory and Donna Barr were still setting up. We chatted with Donna for a bit, including some discussion of internet privacy and government computers.

While hubby-Eric got sketches from the two lovely/scary ladies, I chatted a bit with Phil Foglio (including admitting that I'm the one who roped him into Anglicon this year) and Cheyenne Wright. I haven't seen Cheyenne since I started reading his webcomic, Arcane Times, so I had to tell him that I'm enjoying it. Even if I don't quite get the Mousferatu thing.

Eric came over with his two new sketches for his Green Lantern themed book (anyone or anything as Green Lantern) and Donna had drawn an Oz/GL crossover while Roberta Gregory provided her well-known character with a GL symbol stamped on her... um... butt.

Moving on, three artists were sitting at the table next to Phil and Cheyenne, busily working away. One of them I had already managed to get a sketch from. Siya Oum did a wonderful Manga-style Aquaman for me at a Seattle con a year ago. She thanked me for posting the sketch and told me she sends folks to see it. With her help, the other two artists agreed to do sketches for me.

Chad A Du Lac did an older bearded Aquaman for me. I love the sense of motion he gave Aquaman in his sketch. I have permission to post the sketch, and it will go up on October 9th. He's between websites at the moment, but when he gets a new one I'll link the image in my sketchbook to it.

After Chad's bold effort, Tiana Tampico added her version. As we'd been discussing Namor and his ability to fly a little earlier, she did a classic version of Aquaman shooting through a school of flying fish. Her version of Aquaman has a great knowing look on his face, and I adore the fish! It brings my fish count up quite a bit. I have permission to post the sketch, and it will be my featured sketch on October 16th. Tiana is also between websites.

As I was getting sketches, hubby-Eric decided to ask for sketches from the trio. I'd already told them his theme, and they were eager to give it a shot. Chad Du Lac drew Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz movie as Green Lantern. Tiana drew her character Mythrysta "Myth" Thorell as Green Lantern. Siya opted for a traditional look, and drew the classic Hal Jordan Green Lantern... and it's really good, too.

There were a couple of other artists hanging out, but none that appeared to be sketching. I talked with the writer and artist at Thunder Frog Comics, but Harrison Wood had to go deal with a premature moving day (he was originally told he had three more days) and didn't have time for a sketch. I did get to flip through their latest project Kat & Dogg, and I would have picked up a copy of Mighty Mites if I'd had three dollars on me.

I got up the courage to talk with Greg Scott Bailey who is working on a book called Mocktales. The story involves a major city being thrown into an alternate dimension where elves and magic exist. The city is, of course, Seattle. The art samples on his table were excellent. The only thing lacking was a story page to judge his storytelling skills by. Because of his employment situation he was charging for sketches, but we struck a deal. I would promote his website on my blog, and he would draw a sketch for me. He drew a classic Aquaman which will be posted on October 23rd. I plan on following the development of his book, which should be out in time for San Diego next year. The concept interests me, and I liked what I saw of his artwork.

The last guy I talked with before leaving was Thomas Doherty, editor of Committed Comics. He had some good news for me about getting permissions for me at San Diego this year. He talked with a few of the folks on my list and planned to e-mail me the results once things had calmed down a bit for him. Seeing me at the con reminded him. The only name he could remember right off was Jamal Igle, who apparently thought I was a bit insane to ask permission but gave it anyway. So a whole new stack of people will be posted once I get the confirmations from Thomas.

Eric and I then wandered a bit around the dealer tables. Nobody has the last few books I need (especially not at a price I could actually afford), so we were looking only. As with the last few ComiCard events, the turnout was a bit low. Until the economy turns around it will stay low. Which is why I question the wisdom of having another ComiCard Convention on November 14th, only two months away. On the other hand, the guest of honor is Michael Turner, so that will draw more than a few people in. What do you think the odds of me getting a free sketch from Michael Turner are?

Well, we had fun, met some old friends and made some new. And had a decent sketch count, even if Eric didn't get to meet Paul Chadwick. All-in-all a pretty successful con for us. We'll have to see if we can make the next one.

0 comments: