Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Giant-Sized Random Thoughts

Well, I'm finally recovered enough from the convention to do a little linkblogging and reviewing (yes, I've finally read most of last week's books!). Some of this stuff is way old, and I'm sorry if I missed something cool you mentioned on your blog. I tried to mark everything I thought was neat, but I'm sure I missed lots of good stuff while trying to catch up.

Chris Brown mentioned me in a comic blogosphere blogaround. I really ought to do one of those one of these days. In the meantime, go there to check out some of his favorite bloggers.

Tom the Dog also mentioned me... and it's not just you Tom. Anyone using IE finds that my blog loads slowly. I haven't pinpointed the problem yet. Sorry...

Polite Dissent discusses Aquaman again in a medical context. Scott also treats us to a look at Brave and the Bold #142, which features Aquaman against Batman. Lastly, Scott Linkblogs. The interesting one for me was the link about porphyria, which some people think, probably falsely, was the basis of the vampire legend. I tend to find rabies fits the profile better, myself.

Yes, the DC Solicits have been posted. And here's the cover to Aquaman #26:

No, I don't have anything to say about it. Ok, maybe a little. It's fairly rare for Aquaman to not appear on the cover of his book. The first ever cover of his book he didn't appear on was Aquaman #12 Sep-1995, which had Mera on it instead. He's on every Silver Age cover and every mini-series and other series cover right up to there. After that, there are three more Peter David era covers that don't feature Aquaman. Until this cover, every other cover has him on it in some form or another. That was the first thought that popped into my head when I saw this cover... Lorena joins good company. The other characters featured on Aquaman covers when Aquaman didn't appear were Mera, Tempest, Dolphin, and the villian Thanatos (who supposedly looks exactly like Aquaman).

Right now that I've bored my audience away, I can give some initial thoughts on the rest of the books. Birds of Prey has moved from the Batman section to the regular DCU section. It's about time. That means hubby-Eric and I aren't getting any Batman books for January. The only Superman book I'm interested in is Superman: Strength #1, but at $5.95 I'm not certain it will make the list. Especially not if I want to get Bizarro World, which I do. That book will knock several others off the list, I'm sure. Another Green Lantern Archives, but I'd really love to get the Seven Soldiers of Victory Archive too. No, there's no Aquaman in them, but I've read a bit of Leading Comics and enjoyed it a lot. More thoughts to come when I flip through Previews.

Image has also released their solicits, and Marvel's have been leaked. Hubby-Eric found Lions, Tiger, & Bears to be an intriguing title for a book for obvious reasons, so we're looking at that. Noble Causes is a no-brainer (of course we'll get it). Marvel has just the usual, nothing stands out.

Speaking of solicits, the awesome Postmodern Barney comments on them and I found this bit to be nicely cynical: "In Aquaman Lorena officially becomes Aquagirl. Maybe DC will manage to have nothing horrible happen to her for a couple of months..." Maybe, just maybe. But I'm not holding my breath.

Mike Sterling's Progressive Ruin continues to satisfy fannish cravings. Go on, check it out. Don't miss the Swamp Thing puffy stickers.

Worlds Within Worlds directs us to samples of Bone in color and makes me want to buy the one volume edition so I can read the last part and have it in my collection in the original B&W.

Near Mint Heroes is linkblogging again, and you must not miss it - start here, then go here, and finish here if you are overwhelmed. I was.

Doonesbury's interesting experiement apparently worked... crashed a few servers in fact. I linked to each of the articles on my other blog.

Will Pfeifer wierds out again with a comic card and some parody.

There's an interesting theory linked from Boing Boing that some people who see auras or otherwise might think they are psychic may actually have a rare form of synaesthesia. Sounds cool to me.

Also from Boing Boing: Rejected Ad campaigns, Schoolhouse Rock Send-ups, and um, instructional, um, LPs for Christians.

The Modulator has started Friday Ark Blogging. A very good idea, considering how many folks post various animals on Fridays.

Library Stuff (a great library blog) casually mentions a place to go make Amazon.com RSS feeds. I made one for Aquaman right away... even though Aquaman doesn't get many new books.

Here's a great article about Pogo. Via Hit and Run.

A bit of a strange dust-up about royalties for Peter Pan, including the notion that Peter Pan is still under copyright in the United States. I really don't know what to feel about this one.

Slashdot reports that a flat-screen TV emitted a distress signal so strong that "local police, search and rescue, and civil air patrol members showed up" at the owner's apartment. Ooops. Toshiba offered him a replacement.

I Love Bees Explained. "Dude, it's a hurricane. Put the phone down."

DVDAnswers.com has articles on Star Wars: The Changes which describe in detail all the changes between the original Star Wars movies and the recent releases.

Oooh, scary stuff, kiddies! Ghosts of the White House has videos of ghost stories about the White House, and a link to a session of "Ask the White House" about ghosts. A little sample: "Mrs. Carter played a trick on her daughter one halloween. She had some friends over to spend the night in the Lincoln's bedroom to look for Lincoln's ghost. Mrs. Carter and one of the maids covered themselves with sheets and burst in to the room to the young girls screams."

An inventor has made a remote that turns off all TVs in range. On the one hand, it's slightly rude. On the other hand, there are definitely times when you wish there weren't so many TVs blaring at you in restaurants or airports or whatnot. I can't decide whether this thing is good or bad, but I'm leaning toward bad. I guess I have a lot of concerns about privacy and the use of this device.

One thing that was mentioned in at least one discussion at Anglicon was the lack of MacGyver DVDs. Well, according to Various and Sundry, that will soon be rectified! "MacGyver, on the other hand, is a completely different story! There are some high-speed plans for this show, starring the ever-popular Richard Dean Anderson. Look for that series to not only arrive on DVD in 2005, but to quickly hit a fast track and demand space on your shelves at home. Plans can always change (expect us to repeat that another dozen or so times), but you can potentially look for quarterly releases to arrive in January, April, August, and December."

0 comments: