Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 27 October 2004 - Part III

Yeah yeah, I need to finish off last week's books before I start reviewing this week's books. Here ya go, lots of rapid reviewing:

PS238 #8: Oh yes. We finally get some background into the Rainmaker Project. The story is wonderful. The art is wonderful. I shouldn't have to say anymore, since you are all getting this already, right? Strongly recommended. 4 1/2 starfish

Aquaman #23: This is a problem. I was expecting part 3 of 3... and writer Will Pfeifer's last issue. Besides being two weeks late, this is not the solicited story, writer, or artist. The good news is that it's not bad at all. But there are a lot of questions that have been left unanswered, both on the story side of things and on what the heck is happening behind the scenes. In any case, Ostrander manages to turn in a good part one of what may have originally been meant as a one part story. Solid. And recommended. 4 starfish

Smallville [4-06]: Transference: I fully expected to hate this episode. I don't like body swap stories. I'm sick of them. It's one of the most annoying cliches in science fiction. So when I saw that this was going to be a body swap episode, it became the first ever Smallville episode that I just wasn't looking forward to watching at all. Well, I'm happy to report that I was wrong. Or at least not disappointed. The acting alone made this one work. It was impressive how John Glover and Tom Welling managed each other's character mannerisms. And at least it wasn't a "meteor rock" that caused the transfer. All in all, very nice. 4 starfish

Birds of Prey #75: Uh. Ok. I suppose this ties into the annoying Batman crossover somehow. Whatever, it didn't do much for me. I'll be happy if this book ever finds its footing again. 3 1/2 starfish

Usagi Yojimbo #79: Another Usagi-less story, but with the return of a number of characters, and a little bit on the nature of one of the spookier characters in the world of Usagi. Nice little one-page back-up, too. Excellent book, recommended. 4 starfish

This week's books to review: Thieves & Kings, Ant, Rising Stars, Avengers, The Golden Plates, JLA: Classified, Fallen Angel, Justice League Unlimited, Firebirds, Captain America & The Falcon, Marvel Age Fantastic Four, and Tomb of Dracula.

0 comments: