Friday, December 31, 2004

The Best Comic Book of 2004 according to Bloggity-Blog-Blog-Blog

It came down to two titles, but one of them had a "fatal flaw" for a 2004 award. It was published in 2003. At first I figured I would just have to live with it and choose the 2004 title. But I couldn't do it. I knew which book, out of all the comic books I've read this entire year, I enjoyed the most. Maybe it was only by a sliver, but it was THE BEST.

So I'm going to give out two awards. One award for Best Comic Book Series to the 2004 title, and a Best Comic Book award to the one that really was the best comic book I read in 2004.

The first award, for the Best Comic Book Series of 2004 according to Bloggity-Blog-Blog-Blog is:

PS238

Consistently fun, this is the only book that makes me laugh aloud every time I read an issue. It's an ongoing, so I always have more issues to look foward to. And there hasn't been a dud issue YET. The characters are growing on me, particularly Tyler, the long-suffering "normal" boy. Though I admit that Captain Clarinet (Ron), Suzi, and Zodon are very cool, too.

But, as great as PS238 is, and it's really, really great, one book I read managed to top it this year.

And so (drumroll please), the Best Comic Book of 2004 according to Bloggity-Blog-Blog-Blog is:

True Story Swear To God: Chances Are...

A touching love story with humor, romance, joy, pain, and simple human flaws along with amazing triumph. Even a basic spelling problem becomes a plot point as the book references itself. This is a book I wouldn't hesitate to give to anybody. It's a great story, and it's done in such a way that it enriches the whole comic book medium. Kudos to AiT/Planet Lar for putting this out as a collection, and kudos to Tom Beland for creating this wonderful book in the first place.

So... that's my best read of the year. What about you?

0 comments: