Tuesday, December 28, 2004

The Year of Comic Books in Review - Part Five (September and October)

More nominees for the Best Comic Book of 2004 according to Bloggity-Blog-Blog-Blog.

September and October gave me five automatic nominees. Aquaman #22, PS238 #7, PS238 #8, and True Story Swear To God: Chances Are.... In addition, I'm adding Even More Fund Comics to the mix. Other books of note, that don't make the nominee list, are the Dark Horse 2004 Halloween Special and Persepolis 2 (I liked it, but not as much as the first book).

Aquaman #22 might be the high point of Pfeifer's short-lived run on the book. It was excellent in all dimensions, except maybe for a slightly predictable main plot. The artwork by Gleason continued to grow on me. The handling of ongoing plot threads worked very well. In short, an excellent effort.

PS238 #7 and PS238 #8 continued the tradition of excellence from Aaron Williams work. These issues go back and explore the origins of superheroes in the PS238 universe and the beginnings of the rainmaker project. This series continues to amaze me.

True Story Swear To God: Chances Are... rocked my world. Another book that nearly reached my impossible five starfish. It immediately made me want to buy copies for everyone I know, and it also pushed me to start buying the regular series, which I'd been considering but just hadn't done. This is one of the sweetest romance stories I've ever been fortunate enough to read... go get a copy.

Almost done with the nominees... Next I'll have to choose a best from them.

0 comments: