Saturday, January 08, 2005

Sketchbook - Linda Medley

Getting this sketch took two days, and a short amount of worry. The whole story is in my San Diego 2000 report, but the short tale is that I met Linda on the second day of the con and got a promise of a sketch from her, because she wanted to do something unique. Later the next day, after a little worry about where she was, she drew this sketch for me. I think it's fantastic, and have been pleased with it since I saw it. As she intended, her interpretation of Aquaman is unique, and beautiful.


AQUAMAN
by Linda Medley
22 July 2000
(permission to post given 11 November 2004 via e-mail, special thanks to Mia for helping me reach Linda.)

As a reminder: Almost every sketch in my sketchbook was non-commissioned and done on the floor of a con. These are not the best works of the artists. These are only representative of what the artist can do under pressure in a loud, crowded, and often stressed-out environment. Most of them were done as quickly as possible, to prevent huge lines from forming. Don't judge any of these artists negatively by the artwork you see, instead be as impressed as I am by what they accomplished in far-from-ideal conditions.

The Saturday Sketch ™ is brought to you by the letters "L", "M" and the number "80", and also courtesy the fine artists who pour their lives into producing wonderful comic books, then come to conventions only to get asked by geeky fangirls for a sketch of Aquaman. Support an artist, buy a comic book.

If you have any contact information for any of the other artists I'm trying to contact, please e-mail me. I'm currently down to only two more permissions... so only two more weeks before I run out of sketches to post!

0 comments: