Monday, November 19, 2007

Kindle Me

I'm not usually a person who buys new tech the instant it comes out, but if I had the dough, I'd certainly go for The Kindle. It's not as pretty as I expected, but looks functional. If it can read unprotected book files that I have, like from The Baen Library, then it's good enough for me. It would be even better if it also can read PDF files, like the ones you get from Wowio, but I don't see that listed in the formats it accepts. I see myself turning off the wireless and using the USB connection to upload hundreds of e-books I have and then carrying the thing with me everywhere.

Eh, it's now on my Amazon.com wishlist. Maybe some rich person will give it to me for Christmas, because that's probably the only way I'm getting my hands on one.

Further notes: I find it really funny how many reviews there are of the thing already, when only a handful of people have actually used it. Most people are complaining about the price or other faults they perceive. I suspect that the price will go down with new versions, as has happened with other tech, and that the other faults will either not really exist or be fixed quickly. As for the prices: yeah, $10 is too much to pay for one digital book. It should be less than a paperback. I suspect the market will correct that eventually, if mobile readers ever catch on. The newspaper and magazine subscriptions are also a tad high, but not totally unreasonable. I find it much more unreasonable to pay for access to blogs... but then this is on a different network than the internet itself, so I guess I won't whine. If I wanted a computer, I'd buy a computer. This is a book reader.

0 comments: